Page 46 of 57 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

I think I'm going to stand pat with what I have until I'm ready to buy a refurbished D500. Right now it's $1500, though I do think I'd like the 16-80 lens in the kit, too. However, I've done some deep reading on some features on my ancient D7000 that have given me more functionality than I knew I had.

I know that so many people have gone full-frame, but what I'm really excited about is the fast, sensitive AF in a reasonably sized package. It's basically the technology of a D5, but in a smaller package and the AF area over the APS-C sensor means the best AF coverage ever for a DLSR.

I've got the money now, but I'd really like to get back into flying out here in CA where the distances and traffic make general aviation quite useful. Palm Springs, Monterey, Las Vegas and Havasu are all easy flights from here (40 minutes to 3 hours in the sort of GA aircraft I fly) and in the last several years, everyone's gone to iPads for their flight bag. So cash goes there for now.
    Last edited by KillerB; September 14th, 2017 at 12:41 AM.

I, like Wonder, have the all metal gorilla pod, which I've only used maybe once or twice. It is also usually mistaken for a sex toy (at least by Rob).

As much as I want to get away from third party lenses, I'm going to give the second generation of Tamron's 24-70 f2.8 a try. I was very close to getting a Canon 24-105 f4, but then I realized that there are plenty of situations where image stabilization won't help you, so there's really no replacement for the wide 2.8 aperture. And, conversely, there are a lot of times when I just don't want to lug around a tripod, so I also want IS. I just with Canon would do a 24-70 2.8 with IS.

I thought this was kinda cool... You know how you know there's a lot going on in your lens? When the lens flare looks like that.

This is taken with the Canon 11-24mm.

5D4_4529.jpgconstruction.gif

I'm just sayin, I'm about to be swimming in L glass, if all goes well.

YAAAAS! I just snagged a 24mm f1.4L II from craigslist for the same price I just sold my sigma 24mm art to someone for. My quest to eradicate the third party glass is complete! Red rings for days!

Well, the Nikon Black Friday sale sucked me in. Ended up ordering a D500 + 16-80mm F/2.8-4.0 DX kit that also included the Nikon battery grip for $2,399. More than I really wanted to spend, but I think there's good value there. Sure, if I wait another year or so, there will probably be a D500s or a better sale, but cameras are for catching moments, and while you wait those moments are missed. I decided the D5's AF system on a crop sensor was more appealing to me than an FX camera with a less capable AF system like the D750. Plus, the 16-80mm should be a good walking around lens for when I don't want to carry multiple lenses.

I'd sell the D7000, but they're essentially worthless on the used market. I'd rather keep it as a second body for taking dedicated photo trips where carrying two bodies is worth it to not swap lenses around. Or I could get it modified to take pictures in the IR spectrum, but I don't know enough about that to know whether it's worth it.

I got a Gear 360 and a Feiyutech Gimbal which can be used with that, the RX100 Mk3, and a phone. Pretty good stuff.

Curious... Why do you guys buy new stuff? The stuff is so durable, and the warranties are always such crap (1yr?) I've never felt it was worth it.

Because I'm Asian and don't trust people to take care of their shit. It's like how most Asians prefer buying new, rather than used, cars.

Also, slightly more seriously, the premium for new stuff isn't THAT large in HK (i.e. the discount on used stuff doesn't really justify it). Especially when there's faffing around with meeting up with someone, negotiating the price, etc. etc. I'd rather just buy whatever the fuck I want if I know that I want it, and save time, which is money.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; November 24th, 2017 at 08:31 AM.