Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

I think it depends what sort of shots you are planning to (shots that you "need to") take of Pope Francis, and what other use you would have for the F/4 after that. Where are you going to be standing? Do you really want to isolate him and have some nice bokeh? Or will you be happy enough with a snapshot?

Since the D500 is an APS-C camera, it's a 420mm equivalent. That said, I'm still not sure it'll be long enough. I need to get a handle on where exactly I'll be standing.

In other news... Nikon Z6 and Z7 officially announced
    Z Nikkor 58mm f/0.95 Noct

Last edited by KillerB; August 22nd, 2018 at 09:30 PM.

Glad to see Sony get some competition in the FF Mirrorless arena, it'll be good for the consumer. That being said, I'll be sticking with APS-C/Fuji for now, since I prefer a more compact system, and there's relatively few compact lens choices when you move up to FF. But I can't say I'm not jealous of FF image quality, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    Since the D500 is an APS-C camera, it's a 420mm equivalent. That said, I'm still not sure it'll be long enough. I need to get a handle on where exactly I'll be standing.
    If you have the money, I'd spend it on the 300 and crop if required so that you get better bokeh. That, to me, is more valuable than extra reach.

A 300 prime will kick the snot out of a zoom in terms of sharpness, focus speed and light gathering. I won’t buy variable f stop lenses anymore just for the sheer fact that the max f stop changes as you zoom in and out. I hate that

I misspoke - my camera, a D500, makes the lens a 450mm equivalent due to crop factor. 420mm is what you get with this lens when you use a 1.4x TC on a FF camera. 630mm equivalent if you use both.

I agree, on high res cameras, I’d rather crop anyway. That’s effectively what I get with my D500, which now is my sole body after I game my D7000 to the teenage son of a good friend of mine who is looking to get into photography.

I preordered a Z6 in a fit of excitement over the new system, but I cancelled my preorder after I thought better of it. For right now, the main benefit to me of the Z6 is portability, but it wouldn’t arrive in time for my trip to Northern Italy in October anyway. I still think I’ll go for the Z-series when I’m ready for an FF camera, but I can afford to wait. In the meantime, the money I’d have spent on it would be better spent on a good telephoto lens or two. The current Z-mount roadmap doesn’t list anything beyond 200mm, and the advantage of the large mount diminishes on telephotos. If the FTZ mount works as well as it seems it will, using F-mount telephotos will work for years to come even if I switch completely to Z-mount bodies.

Besides, they just released that 500mm f/5.6 PF prime that’s also small enough to handhold - they’re not walking away from F-mount just yet.
    Last edited by KillerB; August 27th, 2018 at 05:22 PM.

...and B&H Photo had a factory refurbished 300mm f/4 PF for $1599. Sold!

YW - I just saw a post I missed from you. This is definitely a lens I’ve got future use for past this trip. It’s quite a bit faster than my 55-300 I have now, and it’s very easy to hand hold. The D500 + the 300 PF is excellent for carrying and getting great photos at a 450mm equivalent without schlepping a ton of equipment.

I definitely prefer photos where I can isolate the subject, so I think this f/4 prime will make a big difference - especially at the price I just paid.
    Last edited by KillerB; August 27th, 2018 at 05:36 PM.

Jason - I remember you being a Canon shooter back in the day. What are you using with Fuji these days?

I've been a Fuji shooter for 7 years or so, now haha. Right now I mostly use a X-Pro2 and a handful of primes. But I'm also not shooting/traveling much currently.