Page 50 of 57 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

Quote Originally Posted by KillerB View Post
    ...and B&H Photo had a factory refurbished 300mm f/4 PF for $1599. Sold!
    I definitely prefer photos where I can isolate the subject, so I think this f/4 prime will make a big difference - especially at the price I just paid.
    Great! Congrats!!

Thanks!

Jason - how are you liking the Fuji system? I have exposure to their design concept and UI due to my X100T. I still prefer the ergonomics of Nikons (I like back button focus and a decent grip depth even though I have small hands), but I feel like if I'm going to stay with APS-C sensors, in the long term, I'm better off with something more compact, and also with something with a better native lens selection; Nikon has neglected to really flush out their DX range. On the other hand, if I do go full-frame, staying in the Nikon ecosystem makes some amount of sense.

This will certainly not be something I'm going to do quickly (I've invested a lot in my Nikon system over the last few years), but I'll be watching with interest as Nikon, Canon, Fuji, and Sony all fill out their mirrorless systems. Heck, I hear Panasonic is about to dive into the FF mirrorless realm shortly, leaving only Olympus among the big camera makers that don't charge an arm and a leg *ahem, Leica* not offering at least an APS-C or bigger sensor system.

Speaking of Olympus... my parents had an Olympus XA2 when I was growing up, and I still remember what a jewel that thing was - pretty advanced for a P&S, especially of the time - and bit of a landmark of industrial design of the time. I'd kill for a digital version of the Olympus XA series... my understanding is the Ricoh GRII comes closest, but that camera has been out for a while and really deserves an update... and it's still not as compact as the old XA series.

I got the Canon mirrorless and they took away my joystick and gave me this touchy feely bar thing and it's shit.

That's my review.

I have officially entered the "not fucking around" phase of photo printing.

(Yeah it's a crappy cell phone pic.)

2019-03-01 11.23.35.jpg

How wide is it? Looks like a 44".

What are you going to print with it?

Probably very little. Most people that buy large format printers for basic personal use end up selling them in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    Probably very little. Most people that buy large format printers for basic personal use end up selling them in a year.
    Yes, and I'm the person that buys it after that year. It's a 44".

That setup currently sells for $5400 with an $800 mail in rebate. I got it for $1500 from someone who was moving and needed to offload it because there was no room for it where he was going.

Based on my estimates, and the absolute cheapest prices I can get for print services locally, it would only take me 36 24"x36" prints for me to recoup the cost I put into the printer. I don't think it was really a bad decision at that price, even if I only keep it for a little while. I've had what is essentially just a scaled down version of this printer for two years now and learned the best way to use it to conserve the most ink.

Hey if you’ve got the room and the cash to blow then have at it.

I thought it was a really good deal for what it is. I've had nothing but great experiences with the smaller version of this printer, and it's a recent printer, not some 10-15 year old hunk of junk that's probably going to break down all the time. I just decided to go for it because I didn't think I'd have a chance to get a printer like this so cheaply again.

Of course it’s a great product that excels at what it was designed to do. So is a 600mm f4 lens. But neither is something a typical consumer would get much use out of.