Page 53 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: GAS talk

I was just thinking about this today. I nearly bought an R5 earlier this year but am glad I didn't, since I have just been using my S21 Ultra for daily photos and hardly shoot anything nowadays. However I don't think I am going to sell my L lenses or my Fuji lenses as long as they are good enough for matching bodies.

It might make sense to sell the 5D3 and XT-1, or perhaps to just let my kids learn on them. Or I could just sell all of the Fuji gear (which I only really bought for the Velvia etc. profiles, none of which I really use nowadays) and get an R5 or R6. That would seem to make more sense.

I kept all my lenses and got a couple of adapters. They work flawlessly.

The R6 I got was a refurbished unit direct from Canon. The R7 was brand new. Played around a bit yesterday and I am definitely impressed. Still learning how to change settings like ISO, focus etc on the fly. It’s still a Canon so the menu system is the same but the way you change settings quickly in the field is different. I bought a new Canon flash as well to replace my VERY old 580EX. So I’ll have to figure out how that works also.

Yeah, I will keep my Ls and get some adapters if I change to mirrorless.

I'm also interested in another gopro equivalent and another Insta360 to replace the ones that died when I took them into the water (the former was a dji osmo action which design has water sealing issues even with genuine batteries). I think nowadays I'll probably get more use out of those and use my phone for normal stuff.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; November 3rd, 2022 at 06:58 AM.

I recently made the switch to mirrorless as well.

Sold the D500 and most of my lenses for a Z6II and some Z Lenses. I initially got the FTZ adapter, but since quite a few of my lenses were either DX (crop), D (focus motor needed from Body) or Sigma Lenses (didn't really work with FTZ), I changed course. I also gave some of my lenses to my mom, who I had given my D300 to earlier in life.

I kinda got carried away with lenses, lol. First of all, I got the 24-70/f4 with the body, which is a nice lens, but I wish I had known about the 24-120 before hand, I might have waited for it to be available. I traded in the 24-70 in like-new condition and got he 24-120. Only downside is size compared to 24-70. Everything else is on a nother level.

By now though I have way more lenses than a probably should, lol. I now have 2/3 of the "trinity" of 2.8 lenses. Don't have the 14-24. Went with the 14-30 f4 instead on that one.

Got a couple of 1.8 primes, and a couple of the compact primes, which are great for their size and relative price.

And the 100-400, which is my favorite lens.

I love how compact the bodies are, but it's offset by the huge lenses. Especially the primes. They're very long. The old 50mm 1.8 was like half the size of the Z one. Makes it hard to pack some of them since a lot are too big to fit vertically. They're also stupid expensive. But such is GAS life.
    [oo) [|||] [|||] (oo]
    (_/__\_____/__\_)

Canon has a 100-400 which I may get in the next year or two...it doesn't really fit anything I do for money (which is why I don't have it currently) but it would be more of a "spare time" lens for the beach, birds etc. It might be good enough for the day sports I cover but most of the sports I end up doing are indoors or after dark which the 100-400 would be useless for.

I have a 70-200 2.8L, 2) 24-105 f4Lis EF mount and a RF 24-105 f4Lis. (For a few of our league team/individual photo days we have three camera stations so I need similar setups for each station). I have 1.4III extender as well. These cover pretty much everything. For most daytime outdoor field sports I use the 1.6 crop camera with the 70-200 and the 1.4ext. At night I just remove the extender. Indoors I'll use the 70-200 or 24-105 depending on the sport...volleyball, basketball, weightlifting etc.

I sold the 300 2.8L during covid for some cash but honestly I don't miss it that much. Rarely used it and the now that I've gone ML I'm happy to have gotten rid of the weight.

Yeah, I think most of the time a 70-200/2.8L does what the 300/2.8L does. Especially with the cropping powah nowadays.

Well from 2007-2018 ish I was doing alot of outdoor sports tournaments that benefitted greatly from the 300 2.8L reach and quality. But I have since stopped doing all that tournament stuff (no money in it and a ton of hours in the field hoping someone buys it) and switched gears. The only real action stuff I do nowadays is for the private school I shoot their action sports for and when I shoot a game at the request of a client who wants some shots of their kid. So it was more beneficial to have that money in my pocket during COVID when I wasn't shooting anything. Would I like to have another? Sure...but it would only get used maybe 8 days a year professionally. It's not like I would take it on the family outing to the beach or to the park. So if I ever was going to drop another $5k on that lens again it would be because my financial situation has miraculously changed for the better somehow Budget dictates I make do with the minimum.

Yeah, man. Are you able to easily rent a lens like that where you're based?

I can borrow them occasionally from Canon CPS loans. But I pay shipping back to them...which can be expensive with a $10k (new) lens and the heavy weight. But yeah...if I needed something for a rare occasion then no problem. They call it the CPS Loan program...basically so you can try it and hopefully buy it in the future

Ah, yes!