Page 285 of 436 FirstFirst ... 185235275283284285286287295335385 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,850 of 4355

Thread: craigslist finds

The flaw in that plan would be that it would be interpreted as HIS fault.

16yo son 1st car search

Might go see this on Saturday:

$2000 https://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/5975256997.html

The Prelude I posted earlier has stayed in the back of my mind, too.

https://daytona.craigslist.org/ctd/5991873732.html

Seems like either one of those would be great choices!

And, yeah, I could not in clear conscience sabotage someone's life just to make a point. I imagine the point will be made when the Volvo dies on some freeway and there is no other transportation available.

Saturn Ion Red Line? It sounds vaguely familiar but I don't recall a blower, and certainly not half-suicide doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Anywho, anybody know anything about 1st gen Civic Hybrids? They're almost irresponsibly cheap.
    No, but let me know what you find if you look into it. It never crossed my mind as I assumed all used Civics in good condition cost more than a 5-Series BMW.
    The 8th gen (2006-2011) are almost as cheap and have those awesome futuristic wheels that were probably designed in the 80's.

Yeah, the LSJ had a pretty short lifespan as GM ultimately switched to turbos and the LNF from the Sky/Solstice ended up in the Cobalt SS and Ion Redline, then in the Regal and everything else. The LSJ just wasn't enough - but the turbo Cobalt SS won a lot of respect from magazines. R&T said "The Cobalt SS may be the most underrated car in the world" which is pretty solid praise. It always suggested to me that the SS setup itself was pretty solid, and it was only the underwhelming supercharger that held it back.

I think it probably the awful interior materials and blah styling that ruined the Cobalt and Ion - with a good platform (Delta), good motors (Ecotecs), and good transmissions (F23 or AF23) they were mechanically very good. I suspect they make for a solid used car.

The Civic Hybrid is also interesting. I think it suffers from being an also-ran (vs. the Prius) and, frankly, it wasn't much fun to drive. The 2nd gen IMA feels incredibly unrefined and the 7th & 8th gen regular Civics felt pretty appliance-y already. Those Civic Hybrids probably appeal to nobody. I just wonder if they are reliable, or what the cost of maintaining them is like... puts the fear in me that they cost the same or less than a comparable gas-only model. Makes me wonder if something like battery reliability is poor or something.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    ... Makes me wonder if something like battery reliability is poor or something.
    something missing? It's ...
    ... VTEC, yo!

Hopefully it's just that they're too boring / not cool like the Prius (partially joking, mostly serious, though)

No doubt - and I don't know how to feel about it!

The Civic hybrids would probably be okay, if there wasn't a Prius to compare them to.

The reviews I've read on them tended to follow the pattern "just isn't cheap enough to run given what a slug it is". Prius' tend to get reviews "boring as hell, but at least they are cheap to run".

Having purchased a Prius in the last month, I've obviously read rather more hybrid car reviews in the last month than in the entire rest of my life added together.

My review of my Prius is that it is better than I expected in basically every way. Also that it totally changes your driving goals, courtesy of all the different geeky fuel economy related displays.

On all my previous cars regardless of how small / dull / slow they might have been, my goal on any given decent duration trip was to attempt to stick at the absolute maximum speed under the getting a ticket threshold (100k limit here, 105 gets you a ticket during holiday season, 110 gets you a ticket during any other time, failing the attitude test gets you a ticket always), so as to achieve the shortest possible travel time. So any speed limit transition say from 50k to 100k zone would see me go heavy acceleration the moment I cross the speed limit change to get to my 104 or 109k speed goal, and attempt to maintain that speed up any hill.

The Prius on the other hand, my goal became fuel economy. Cruise control set at 100k, gradual acceleration, accepting that I might not do 104 or 109 up any given hill.

Basically the car has instantly brainwashed me, though the various displays telling me how to drive economically. Apparently I only require a light rinse cycle to achieve brainwashed.

I had the same experience in the Fiat. The entire goal of driving became "how little electricity can I use" and I was always shocked at my ability to drive real slow.

But, in this case, Prius vs. Civic Hybrid isn't the discussion - it's cheap transportation. I'm sure a Prius is superior in every measurable way (driven several examples of each), but a 2x cost puts a Prius out the running entirely. There is no such thing as a $3000 Prius that isn't either wrecked or well past a quarter of a million miles. Or both.

Radio silence from Eagle guy

I guess I'll just put my return into the house fund then.