Page 284 of 436 FirstFirst ... 184234274282283284285286294334384 ... LastLast
Results 2,831 to 2,840 of 4357

Thread: craigslist finds

Meh, 1995 BMW 840ci 250k miles - $3000

A bunch of German cars with stereotypical gremlins
    "The '97 BMW 750il has the same issue. It was parked for almost a year with the battery dying. I found that it wouldn't start even with a new battery. The Dealer said moisture was found near the DWS Module and that the car has to be dried out then the DWS replaced. $1200. the unit itself costs $250 from them. I took it to a "BMW Guy" to fix it and unlock the stuck front right passenger door. He ordered a key. Said he had the computer to do the job and tried. After months of trying he couldn't get it started and got the door open only to mistakenly half close it and now it won't completely open or close. Need an Alternative starting system."

That's the type of terrifying non-sense that scares me away from a formally $100k car still in good condition being sold for a few grand.

Looks like I am now shopping for a ~$3000 car. That $1200 Volvo I helped a friend buy 18 months ago has about had it - based on her description, I think the head gasket has let go. Her expenses in the last 18 months include oil changes and tires, which as far as I'm concerned is super... 18 months of driving for ~$1500 is all win. Well, at least it is in this context. If it was $1500 that went into a $7,000 car that was still running that would be cool, but when you lack the financial wherewithal to reach for that $7k car, you get what you get.

Yep that's good ROI.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Meh, 1995 BMW 840ci 250k miles - $3000

A bunch of German cars with stereotypical gremlins
    "The '97 BMW 750il has the same issue. It was parked for almost a year with the battery dying. I found that it wouldn't start even with a new battery. The Dealer said moisture was found near the DWS Module and that the car has to be dried out then the DWS replaced. $1200. the unit itself costs $250 from them. I took it to a "BMW Guy" to fix it and unlock the stuck front right passenger door. He ordered a key. Said he had the computer to do the job and tried. After months of trying he couldn't get it started and got the door open only to mistakenly half close it and now it won't completely open or close. Need an Alternative starting system."

That's the type of terrifying non-sense that scares me away from a formally $100k car still in good condition being sold for a few grand.
    These really are not daily drivers. You need to have a reliable 2nd vehicle to use while you spend time and money sorting out whatever is wrong with these cars.

In short, they are *fun* cars at this point -- and if you don't see the fun in fixing up a 250K BMW then definitely don't get it.

Yeah, that's a "for the love of it" and not a "for the pragmatism of it" endeavor.

Could be a lot of fun for $3k... eventually.

I'd never consider it for a primary vehicle, but it seems you'd have to put in $2-10k every year for a weekend car.
    If I spend that kind of money on repairs for a Caddy, Lexus, ... I expect for it to run for years with just preventive maintenance. A BMW, old Jag, MB, ... I expect to have the car stall out, not start, not open it's doors, ...

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Looks like I am now shopping for a ~$3000 car. That $1200 Volvo I helped a friend buy 18 months ago has about had it - based on her description, I think the head gasket has let go. Her expenses in the last 18 months include oil changes and tires, which as far as I'm concerned is super... 18 months of driving for ~$1500 is all win. Well, at least it is in this context. If it was $1500 that went into a $7,000 car that was still running that would be cool, but when you lack the financial wherewithal to reach for that $7k car, you get what you get.
    The flaw in my plan turns out to be that "Wow, you lucked out and got 18 months from a $1200 car" has been interpreted as "You can always buy $1200 cars and drive them carefree for 18 months."

Also, my September, 2016 "Hey, you've been driving this car carefree for a year and should really start looking for something else while you still have the luxury of a working automobile" warning was twisted into "Don't do anything until the last possible minute, good cheap cars are super easy to find whenever you want one."

And my, "You know, if you don't have time to look for something I'm selling this Santa Fe which has the benefit of my loving treatment and personal endorsement, and I'll give you a sweetheart deal on it" was heard as "I'll sit on this Hyundai as long as necessary, whenever and if ever you decide you want it."

She apparently thinks she can spend two full thousand dollars this time and get something twice as good. This weekend.

Anywho, anybody know anything about 1st gen Civic Hybrids? They're almost irresponsibly cheap.

Find them a shitbox and let them learn a lesson .