Page 253 of 435 FirstFirst ... 153203243251252253254255263303353 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,530 of 4350

Thread: craigslist finds

I want to know what's up with the color: listed as "Bright Silver," and clearly white in the photos.
    Whoomah!

It does say "white" in the CL fields, but the text is clearly wrong. But, that list of features seems like something a VIN decoder would spit out, so maybe the decoder is wrong. I guess it's possible it's been repainted, too, but it seems unlikely you'd have a full color change repaint on any car, much less a clean title one.

Buuuut... The text also says "no 100k service so low price," but that makes little sense. It has 170k on it, and it's *pretty unlikely* the timing belt lasted double*. I assumed the reference was to the second 100k service, but that's a ways off still. No idea there. Then, the guy I spoke with on the phone confirmed (barely) it was a tow they lien sale'd to themselves and has only had it a year and it has no service history, so I don't know where the "no 100k service" came from.

There is a high possibility nothing is right about this car, but a $3900 CRD in California (they weren't sold here new) is too much for me to pass up. Well, that's not true - if I didn't have a reason to head to the bay area I probably would skip it, but there is enough coincidence here it's worth the time.

* Fun fact about the CRD motors: They have breakaway rocker arms. If the timing belt breaks, the rockers are designed to fail to prevent piston:valve contact. If this happens, rather than pull the head, you just replace the rockers & lifters. Crazy!

Funky.
    Whoomah!

Upon further investigation, the answer might be "rapey."

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5804347329.html

Or, maybe just "lie-ey" and "bad grasp of English-y."

The number on the ad belongs to ASAP Towing, which has a website and good Yelp reviews. The name he gives in the ad - Wali - is referenced on Yelp. Sounds like maybe a legit operation, just real bad Craigslisting. OY!

Those CRD libertys were pretty damn nice. Test drove one for shits n giggles and almost got sold, even though I had exactly no intention of buying anything at all.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Hayward has proven to be non-rapey towards me, which is good. I'm still surprised about that.

Not even remotely surprising, however, the Jeep in question was not...good. There is the damage in the pictures on the right front. Front bumper has clearly been - admittedly lightly - hit as the paint is crazed. The interior is pretty darned dirty. The driver's seat bolster is dead. Most speakers are blown. Left rear window does not work. Tailgate lock doesn't work. The motor mounts or the transmission mounts or all of them are shot. CEL is on reporting "glow plug #1" and a MAF code I don't remember. Brakes are done for, tires are done for. AC does not work, apparently as a result of other work that was done and it was just never recharged.

Despite all of this, it drove pretty well. Transmission was spot on, engine is responsive and has good power. I made a quick call to my buddy Mark at the Jeep dismantlers in Sac with The List - bumper, flare, seat, regulator, tailgate lock - and then visited rockauto and a specialty site for the mechanical stuff - MAF, glow plugs, mounts, brakes. The former represents a remarkably low $600, the latter another six bills. $600 for tires, assume the AC issue really is just a recharge. I think that sorts it. $1800. Ouch.

In "good running condition" the CRDs seem to fetch $6k-$8k depending on miles and such. He wanted $3.9k "in light of its needs." I shouldn't have, but I hit him with $2800 just because it started and ran well - a non-crippling amount of money if he agreed, but a number low enough he probably wouldn't and I could at least say I tried. That ended our conversation, he pointed out the 12v outlets in back and the brand new $200 alternator. "Yeah," I said, "but $2800 + $1800 + my time pushes this to the $6k mark and at that point I could just buy something ready to go*. Thanks for your time, though!"

I was back to the Fiero when he shouted, "$3,000 and my guy Juan will get it smogged." I pointed out the CEL. "It's no problem."

So, yeah, I agreed to buy it. Doing my work in SJ and will pick it up this evening. It was probably a big mistake, but at $3k it wouldn't be a world-ending one, and I can almost certainly get my money back out. Really, if I put in the $1800 worth of work, it should be better than $6k CRDs at that point - new stuff sells cars. If I do get there, I very well might enjoy it for a bit then flip it for a profit. As such, I will probably keep my eyes open for another AWD/4WD something, and keep the CRD as a fallback.

Here's to hoping it makes the 100 mile drive back to Sac without kersploding! Hmmm... I guess I could just AAA it, too. Might as well use that for something.

Sounds like a good mistake to me. This has the possibility to be an awesome deal or a dumpster fire worthy of Bertha's mention.

I enjoy how similar yet different we GTXFers are
    Get that weak shit off my track

Hopefully this isn't Ford Motor In a Volvo The Sequel.