Page 11 of 435 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: craigslist finds

Interesting 1967 Volvo Amazon 123GT for SALE HERE

Euro-spec 1980 350SE is a steal. Shame about that color though, Red never looks right on a Merc.

Quote Originally Posted by Taimar View Post
    Euro-spec 1980 350SE is a steal. Shame about that color though, Red never looks right on a Merc.
    It really, really doesn't. But at least it doesn't have red wheels and whitewalls...

The only time paint-matched wheels works on a Benz if it's black, white, or tan - then it gets a pass. Colorful body color wheels are just ick.

It's otherwise a super-cool car - a base model SLC.

That is TOTALLY dope! I was originally thinking about trying to find an old Dodge Colt or something out there... but something French would be pretty cool as well.

Just because it's old, doesn't make it good. In Europe you'd probably have a hard time giving something like that away. It's also French and will therefore give you endless electrical problems which would be a nightmare to fix even when they were sold here, never mind over there

Oh, don't confuse my desire with reason... I have absolute certainty that thing is a pile of shit when evaluated against desirable automotive attributes... but when evaluated against awesome experiences, driving an old French car across the southwest sounds posilutely fantabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    Just because it's old, doesn't make it good. In Europe you'd probably have a hard time giving something like that away.
    Oh no, for sure there's some anorak who wants it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
    It's also French and will therefore give you endless electrical problems which would be a nightmare to fix even when they were sold here, never mind over there
    Well, that's the real problem with a car like that - every part you need is a quest, even minor parts at this stage of life. 20 years ago you could still find some R12's and things here and there as donors, but now, you're really on your own. In 15-20 years, we'll be getting into the territory where parts need to be made, not found. This is in part why I turned down many interesting cars like this over the years - I don't have time for tracking down a relay from a shop in Romania. I use Romania here because all parts for cars like this now come from Dacia parts bins.

I never really liked the R17 but I did like the R15 - sort of like a cheap (and slow) Iso Lele.

Hopefully the proliferation and refinement of 3D printers will help out in that area.
    Get that weak shit off my track

3D printers, homebrew CNC, improved thermoforming, cost-effective prototyping, and consumerization (is that even a word?) of complex electronics make keeping old cars running just not that hard. Sure, if you want a perfectly restored old car that's a challenge, but if you want to run around in a car that looks like an old car that's really not so hard. As long as the glass is intact, everything else is fairly well negotiable!

Now, I'm not that dedicated to an R17, but if someone was, they could do it.