Page 203 of 437 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 4361

Thread: craigslist finds

Well, when I said safety, I wasn't thinking of crumple zones or Ralph Nader stuff, but just thinking about how they did it in North Carolina. The smog testing shop also checked brakes, horn, lights, turn signals, tire tread, windshield, etc. And if your car, like my first two, were too old to have smog stuff, they still checked all the other things, gave you a different color windshield sticker, and they charged less for the inspection.

Here they don't do any of that, as long as the car passes the sniffer test. No windshield stickers. Bald tires, no horn, busted-out brake lights, muffler dragging the ground, rust holes everywhere, no mirrors, and a cracked windshield? No problem!

Edited to add - they even checked headlight alignment in NC, and as I recall, charged a fortune to adjust it, even on older cars with exposed screw heads on the bottom and side for easy adjustment. I never had that problem, but it would come up in conversation. I'm thinking of a friend with a lifted 4x4 truck that had headaches getting his aligned by aiming them against his carport wall, and the guys at the inspection shop wanted [insert ludicrous amount here] to adjust them for him.
    Last edited by George; December 1st, 2015 at 10:13 AM.

Slim pickings on the Denver CL today. I guess people don't buy cars as often this time of year, so people hold their ads until spring. Maybe.

Here's a real jem:

bitchin 1987 ford cargo van - $5000

1984 Maserati Biturbo Project - $2500

The styling of this car reminds me of the Fiat (I assume) that Michael Corleone's wife drove in Sicily in "The Godfather".

1956 Citroen Traction Avant 11B Normale - $34950

Yeah, I know, hearses are passé, but whaddya gonna do on a slow car day?

976 Cadillac Hearse Centenial Edition by S&S Coach - $8500

Looks like this one comes complete with a real live skull, probably left behind by a previous passenger. That would make a bitchin hood ornament!

1963 Galaxie G code - $25000

Arghh! My eyes! Da goggles do nothing!

1976 Mach I Mustang II - $4000

And finally, a nice Nova for speedpimp:

1980 Dodge Aspen 318 auto sublime green - $4750

The problem isn't even so much CA as it is the 25-year-old importation requirement (although I thought CA was super uptight about all automotive regulations). If it wasn't available new in the US, it can't be imported until it's 25 years old, unless you want to go the 'show and display' route, and I want to say they did away with that clause anyway, but I'm getting old and I forget things.

So basically even if you can somehow get it registered, you run the risk of having it taken away and crushed if some Fed with a bug up his ass finds out about it anytime from now until the anniversary of it's manufacture date in the year 2024. Which seems unlikely, until you consider the possibility of some dickhole who knows enough about cars to recognize this thing and decides to report it. "Hey, if I can't import any car I want, this guy shouldn't be able to either."
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

I have always wondered if you could do anything useful with a Mustang II. I mean the single largest complaint one could level at the originals is crap engines, but that is easily fixable in 2015. The front suspension isn't *that* bad, and I sure believe TCI etc. has got to have something helpful for the back end. Aside from retrospective disappointment, what was really wrong with the MII vs. contemporaries like the Capri, Monza, and even the Z? Maybe just build quality?

Quote Originally Posted by pl8ster View Post
    ...you run the risk of having it taken away and crushed if some Fed with a bug up his ass finds out about it anytime from now until the anniversary of it's manufacture date in the year 2024. Which seems unlikely, until you consider the possibility of some dickhole who knows enough about cars to recognize this thing and decides to report it. "Hey, if I can't import any car I want, this guy shouldn't be able to either."
    That really pisses me off. They're just cars. It's not were talking about a collection of lions and tigers let out the back door every morning to run free until bedtime, or a guy who wants to register a Sherman tank with a flamethrower on the front for urban commuting.

If you can legally drive a sandrail, or a Bucket T with no seatbelts and a humongous dragster engine, why not a 1999 Ramcharger?

(again, I'm not expecting answers - just yelling at clouds again)

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I have always wondered if you could do anything useful with a Mustang II. I mean the single largest complaint one could level at the originals is crap engines, but that is easily fixable in 2015. The front suspension isn't *that* bad, and I sure believe TCI etc. has got to have something helpful for the back end. Aside from retrospective disappointment, what was really wrong with the MII vs. contemporaries like the Capri, Monza, and even the Z? Maybe just build quality?
    Considering Mustang II suspension components have found their way under all sorts of hot rods and kit cars, it can't be all that bad. I'm guessing the thin sheet metal and gas tank placement issues that plagued the Pinto is probably their top issues.

That Aspen might not be so bad if not for its Pep Boys rims.

And re: the Mustang II, I think it just looked too much like the Pinto for people to take it seriously. Didn't Cheryl Ladd drive one in Charlie's Angels?
    Last edited by pl8ster; December 1st, 2015 at 12:41 PM.
    Your license plates. GIVE THEM TO ME
    plates | pints | plaid on YT: https://www.youtube.com/@platespintsplaid

Kind of on a same wavelength as the Ramcharger. Earlier this year I was in Lansing, Michigan and saw a Pontiac G5 sedan wearing Michigan plates and a decal from a Lansing used car dealer. G5's were only sold as hatches in the US, but were available as a sedan in Canada. Guess the only way it was sold/plated in Michigan is because of the make/model and no attention was paid to the body style not having been sold here.

I won't waste the bandwidth on a pic, but:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/5311565810.html

Mental note: 350Z 6-speed bolts to Toyota 1UZ-FE. Neat.

*sigh*

Almost the exact car I've been looking for off and on for over ten years:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5328943876.html

A clean, low mileage, white MX72 Cressida wagon. Sadly it has the red interior and not the blue. I don't think I could handle the red.
    Last edited by thesameguy; December 2nd, 2015 at 09:36 PM.