Page 362 of 436 FirstFirst ... 262312352360361362363364372412 ... LastLast
Results 3,611 to 3,620 of 4358

Thread: craigslist finds

918848442.jpg

So Honda apparently made a micro Hummer?

God help me, but I actually quite like it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/use...c9bf6143fa370c

Neat. It looks like a variant of a Honda CR-V to me.

How about this oddball?

1990 Bertone Freeclimber (BMW M21 Diesel Engine) 5-Speed - $14800

Hmm...

2013 Ford Explorer PIU police interceptor utility - $9500

INTERCEPTOR instead of EXPLORER across the hood looks pretty cool in a Mad Max sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Most I ever paid for a daily driver was $21k. I am currently driving a 16 year old luxury car I paid $4,000 for.

I guess I am saying I have no frame of reference and paying over $30k for a DD is unnecessary. The trope that luxury brands are unreliable is a weak generalization though. Maybe the new ones, all of them, are shit. It's possible I guess.
    I'm guilty of insinuating that in my post. Mea culpa.

I too drive an old luxury car; bought it for $4800, and it's cost me maybe that in repairs over the nearly ten years i've owned it. Keeping it to drive into the ground. My most expensive auto purchase too; bike was more expensive but I bought that new.

I think it is fair to say repair expenses on an older luxury car (especially European) will typically be higher than on a non luxury car. Given a choice of a luxury car and a non luxury car for the same price, both 5 years old, i'll take the luxury car all day. It wins the value to dollar ratio in my eyes. 10 years, depends on the specific models. 15 years, non luxury car.

And, I want to be clear; the things that make a car go, stop and turn are about as robust as you'll find in any other brand, especially the last ten or so years. Drivetrains are very stout and reliable. It's the sunroofs, parking sensors, navigation screens etc whose cost i'm talking about in repair expenses. Not engines, transmissions and brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Yes, it has been amazingly reliable and inexpensive to keep run
    A more accurate statement would have been "I can't afford a $30K car".

But, I have time on my side, since I don't need a car right now. What I hope to stumble upon is something like this. Not this car, and not this cheap. But something older, without a ton of miles, that looks good and has been well maintained.

<snip>

Honestly, i'd stay away from the models you've listed. I think American cars came UP significantly in quality in the mid aughties, but i'm leery of anything that debuted before about 2005. Starting with about that first Ford Fusion and Cadillac CTS, I think that's when they were now making cars easily as good as their import rivals. My ratings aren't based only on the drivetrain (those have always been decent- ish) it's on stuff like panel gaps, interior fit and finish, the quality of materials used in that interior and so on.

Cash for clunkers did get rid of a lot of the dross though.

Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    Honestly, i'd stay away from the models you've listed.
    Of course. But I like (and lately have had the time for) surfing the ads and checking out funky oddballs and old garage queens and seeing what kind of vehicles I could get for $X.

I've been out of the car market for so long that I'm reeling from sticker shock and also "feature shock". I don't know the models or the years anymore. When did the first generation stop and the second one begin? Oh, the second gen cars have the column shift moved to the dashboard? And they started coming with tire pressure monitors or daytime running lights or some other absurdity after Year X? That stuff is good to know.

Flagged for removal.

That Fiat is hot

@hoonable:
    Today on the local craigslist: NCTS truck that has been "converted" for street use and is somehow titled as a 1986 Silverado. https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto...749249458.html