Page 387 of 436 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 4356

Thread: craigslist finds

1979 Pontiac Wagon - $4,600

[

This car has no window cranks on the rear windows. This was a "feature" of these cars that had factory air conditioning...or maybe all of them. Someone told me or I read about the A/C thing a long time ago.

Personal experience: I drove a $400 1979 Malibu sedan with an Earl Scheib paintjob for a few months when I was between VW Beetles, and a good friend had a 1979 or 1980 Pontiac Le Mans sedan. I've mentioned him here before - he was the guy who kept a stapler in the car to take up slack in the sagging velour headliner. I seem to recall his Pontiac had old, bubbling, purple window tint for enhanced visibility as well. The back windows didn't roll down in either car.

Window crank on the front doors...

...but none on the back doors. Crazy, huh?

I don't remember the "wind wing" windows, however. Maybe I forgot, or maybe those only came in the station wagons.

1963 Corvair Truck W/Ramp Side - $9,500

A side ramp is even cooler than a sideways tailgate.

1983 Jeep Scrambler - $23,000

Optimistically priced for an old Jeep, in my opinion.

1969 Torino GT - $15,500

Hmm. Could use a couple spacer blocks to get that rear end up higher!

1967 Dodge Coronet 500 - $19,995

Now we're talkin'! Thumbs up for the classic "waist-high rake".

1965 VW Bug - $9,800

Plush interior.

1966 Ford Mustang Coupe Street/NASA TT Race Car - $35,000

1982 Hagglund D-206 Expedition Off Road Vehicle! 17 Seater! Rubber tracks - $49,900 (Naples, Florida)

The rear tracks obviously must be powered also. Probably a mechanical nightmare to keep running, but it looks cool from afar.

1957 Chevy Belair Nomad - $60,000

Dodge Charger General Lee - $50,000

1980 406 series Unimog - $18,000

1963 Chevrolet C-10 C10 Pickup Stepside Long Bed V-8 Automatic Trans. - $24,500

94' Toyota Hiace Super Custom 4WD Turbo Diesel - $19,000

What the heck is this thing? It reminds me of an old slide projector.

Very similar, except there seems to be a handle on the right side of the thing in the van...

It's a COFFEE POT! And an ice maker, also? Wow. Modern technology in these new cars is really getting crazy.

1947 Chevy Hippie Bus - $15,000

And today's Best Of Show award goes to this Suburban.

1971 Chevy Suburban - $28,500

Bonus points for plaid seats!

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    1979 Pontiac Wagon - $4,600

[

This car has no window cranks on the rear windows. This was a "feature" of these cars that had factory air conditioning...or maybe all of them. Someone told me or I read about the A/C thing a long time ago.

Personal experience: I drove a $400 1979 Malibu sedan with an Earl Scheib paintjob for a few months when I was between VW Beetles, and a good friend had a 1979 or 1980 Pontiac Le Mans sedan. I've mentioned him here before - he was the guy who kept a stapler in the car to take up slack in the sagging velour headliner. I seem to recall his Pontiac had old, bubbling, purple window tint for enhanced visibility as well. The back windows didn't roll down in either car.

Window crank on the front doors...
    Remember one of mom's friends showing us her Malibu sedan without roll-down windows.

Chevy called it a feature, allowed back seat passengers to have draft free ventilation.

https://www.ss396.com/cars/1979-chevelle-malibu/

Scroll down to see page 6 of the brochure.

Hey, that's pretty cool, XHawkeye!

I don't mean the "draft free ventilation" , but that you dug up a brochure about it.

Whoever came up with that cost savings marketing idea was a genius.

Cue harp music as we fade in to a conference room with wood paneling, avocado-colored carpet, and plenty of ashtrays in Detroit in the 1970s:

Cigar-chomping General Motors executive in a tan suit with a moustache: "Let's give 'em less but tell 'em it's more!"

Assembly Line Foreman, with plaid pants and a wide white belt: "That would cut thirteen minutes of manufacturing time per vehicle."

Marketing Manager, wearing polyester Sansabelt trousers and gold-framed aviator glasses: "We could even charge extra for that 'feature'! Make it part of an option package, maybe..."

Design Team Chief, smoking a cigarette and sporting a brown necktie five inches wide: "We could add some stripes. Stripes say high performance!"

Well, it could have happened that way.

Mostly I remember a bunch of us guys out on the town while in college with three guys in the back seat roasting in the South Carolina heat and humidity and bitching at Kevin because we couldn't open the windows.

His car had some kind of thick, heat-trapping upholstery, too. If I remember correctly, the Malibu was more of a base model (it had been a company car) and had a vinyl bench seat that was cool and refreshing by comparison.

And I thought it was bad that our Neon(s) had crank in the rear and power up front.

According to lore, those side-ramp corvair trucks were initially developed and sold to Ma Bell, to allow for easy loading (via rolling) of big spools of telephone wire. Then somebody decided they'd be useful to normal people too so they sold them publicly but didn't get a lot of buyers.
    -Formerly Stabulator

That makes sense. And talk about a coincidence - it's looks like there's a wire spool in the back of the "Cannabus" posted above. People used to make coffee tables out of them.

It's in at least one of the pictures above and is visible inside the rear door here:

1973 Plymouth Custom Suburban - $5,800

1986 Dodge Daytona TurboZ NICE - $2,750

1977 OLDMOBILE DELATA 88 ROYALE - $6,000

1989 Honda Prelude SI 4WS 39k Original Miles! MINT! - $15,000

1960 FLXETTE combo hearse/ambulance $18,000

1952 Dodge pickup B3B - $9,000

Automotive historians, what's the lever with the black knob above the gas pedal?

Here's another view. Obviously it's not an emergency brake as that would be the T-handle thing that's pulled out in this picture.

Could it be the starter? Sometimes I've heard references to stepping on the starter of a car in Old Time Radio programs from this era. I'm old enough to remember floor-mounted headlight dimmer switches but not floor-mounted starters.

Edited to add: I guess it's the starter. A quick search pulled this up:

Source: https://carbiketech.com/crank-started-cranking/
    Last edited by George; September 11th, 2020 at 08:00 AM.

I'm partial to the post-1990 Daytonas but it is nice seeing one in such nice shape.

Grandpa had an International pickup that had a floor mounted starter switch.

He also had a Case tractor that started with the gear lever. Move the lever to the left and up to engage the starter.

S = Start