Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools.

I forgot to add that the frame on the HF 1.5 ton doesn't hold up well long term to uneven, shitty pavement.

I was fine with the lift height until I got my CX-5, but I am pretty lean.

Hmmm... that is good to know. I bought one of them down in SoCal to do the oil change & belly pan replacement on the Mercedes. I was tired of lugging my 2.5 ton down there! It was on sale for $60, figured my back was worth it. Barely.

I like the HF 1.5 ton. Only thing I'll use it for is changing tires.
    Thanks guys.

If you haven't done it yet, I noticed the 1.5 ton jack is back on sale for $60 right now -

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton-...OTgzMyJ9%0D%0A

Use coupon 75992107

They will give you that price in store if you provide the coupon number.

My Dad is downsizing from his large house to a 1200sqft place. He's ready to retire. Which also means he's ready to get rid of the garage tools he inherited from my grandpa who owned a service station in the 70s/80s. Got some nice industrial strength jack stands, a 'no logic' battery charger/booster that will bring a completely dead/frozen battery back to life, and a heavy duty lever chain hoist that will save my ass in some way eventually.

Anyway, he also has a bunch of welding gear that I immediately passed on. I figure that it should go to someone that will use it and I'm unlikely to teach myself that skill in the next 5 years. It looks to be in good enough shape and he claims folks have offered him cash for it in the past but he held onto it for sentimental reasons. I have no idea what kind of welder it is since I was so dismissive up front.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should swing back down there and pick it up anyway. I mean, what better way to learn the skill with free tools? And if I really don't ever actually do anything with it I could just sell it off.

Any reasonably guess as to if something that old would be both safe and productive if it's in good working order? It's been sitting indoors in my Dad's garage, the hoses hanging on the wall, since 1994 or so. Not sure when my grand-dads place actually shut down. I have no idea what kind (type, or brand) it is. Probably nothing fancy, whatever would be in a rural service station in 1978.

Ooof, this is a TSG question at best.

Replace the hoses, I'm assuming there's no tanks? It's probably best used like your father uses it: as a garage adornment.

Welding hasn't changed much over time - the tools are easier and cheaper these days but the core tech hasn't evolved all that much. From forums I've read most accomplished welders are still using tools they bought a long, long time ago. I think what it is would influence whether it's useful or not, but like you said you can always play around and learn. Not sure what would be in place at a '70s service station, maybe oxy or stick? Neither are what I would use on cars, but still totally viable for learning or other projects.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Welding hasn't changed much over time...
    So that was spot on.

It's a Lincoln Electric AC225S Arc Welder which, much to my surprise, is still made today: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-E...1170/100041326

The face is stylistically different but it's the same exact model number.

arc.jpg

arc2.jpg

No idea why the vertical images rotate.

I'm going to do some research and see if I want to bring this home.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Not sure what would be in place at a '70s service station, maybe oxy or stick?.
    YUP.

Stick is really messy, but a totally viable process. For small pieces where cleanup won't be a big deal or hidden things where messy isn't an eyesore (like exhaust) stick is totally fine. And, really, for free it wouldn't be bad to have around for whatever comes up.