Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Fun - Sports car, supercar, lightweight, replica?

Recent favourable business developments mean I’m now in the lucky position to be able to consider looking for a new ‘fun’ car with a rather higher budget (replacing the RX-7).

The most obvious attraction would be a Sports Series McLaren - potentially either a 570S Spider, or at a stretch a 600LT coupe. The input of ex-Lotus engineers, and HPAS, and the lightweight carbon tub, make the Mac particularly appealing - not to mention they seem a bit of a bargain, being a chunk cheaper than other junior supercars like the Huracan or 458.

But. Supercars are low and wide, and fun country roads tend to be narrow and undulating. Perhaps the need to avoid oncoming traffic and worries of grounding the nose, plus the value of the thing, mean it wouldn’t be the most fun option?

So then I could go for a sports car, a physical package closer to the RX-7, perhaps an A110 or Cayman GT4.

Or I could take things further, since I’ll keep the Merc for daily driving and longer trips, I could get a pure lightweight such as a Caterham. Jannarelly? Or a Wells Vertige? Morgan are meant to be following up their new three-wheeler with one with a full complement of wheels. Westfield Eleven?

Finally there are a few really good (I think) replica manufacturers out there. There’s a real appeal in a Lister Bell Stratos with a Busso V6, or a GT40, or a Gardner Douglas Lola T70 replica. Essentially the appeal is a big multi-cylinder naturally aspirated engine in a small light body with timeless styling. The concern is whether a car made in penny numbers is actually well enough engineered in chassis stiffness, suspension geometry and setup to capitalise on its potential.

These are just ideas, I’m open to other suggestions too. It’s really for fun driving since I use the Merc to actually go places, on road and occasionally trackdays. I think I prefer RWD, small and light, and a decent engine (pref not an inline four). It may not happen, or it may end up being a smaller budget, but it's a real possibility, so fun to ponder...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I think a mid-engined Porsche is a great way to dip your toes in the gilded-age of automotive waters.
    acket.

Yeah that GT4 or GT4RS looks like the perfect driver’s car.

Junior Potato
    Gordon Murray uses an Alpine A110 as his daily driver, and says it's the best sportscar on the market for ride and handling.

Get that weak shit off my track

So many good choices! Might have more thoughts later. I presume a T.33 or T.50 is out of the budget?

Thanks for suggestions Yeah, while it's hard to find a fun car on a budget (hence 'the answer is MX-5') there are a lot of possibilities at this sort of level.

GT4RS - in theory this is available new in budget. In practice Porsche UK have more customers than cars, and new cars only go to their best (most profitable) patrons. They'll soon pop up 'used' with delivery miles for double list price. In time they may come back down, but could be over a year.

My only issue with the A110 is the engine doesn't seem like it would be that exciting. But apart from that the small size and weight is attractive.

The new Vette is an outside possibility, the positive is that it's available new in budget and has a good engine. My reservation is it seems a bit big and heavy. It loses out, I think, against the significantly lighter McLarens.

Cuda is spot on to identify the GMA cars as pretty much my ideal - T33 roadster please - and equally correct that they're out of budget by a factor of ten. So in a sense I'm looking for something like that, but cheaper.

Evora? Easier to live with compared to Elise/Exige.

I always look at the Honda S2k with some lust. But then don't buy it.

So I'll suggest the other car I want, GR Yaris. Fun, but also fun on b roads.

BAC Mono

I like the Lotus Evora suggestion.

Ariel Atom V8

Sin R1 https://sincars.co.uk/