Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast

Thread: Tools.

Vacuum/pressure test kits.

This looks like just the ticket, but it gets a lot of bad reviews for breaking in various ways. I haven't found anything similar that will last. Looks like there a lot of vacuum kits but few can be switched to positive pressure like this Mityvac can.

Hmm.

That should do the trick for chasing not leaks

*boost

I was a bit tired from being on call yesterday. Thought I proofread it, obviously I hadn't done a good job of it.

No worries.

It does seem like the right multipurpose tool, the problem is it seems to be cheaply made and only last a few uses for several people. My searching so far hasn't turned up a higher quality tool that does the same things.

Finally going to take the plunge and get a torque wrench and breaker bar. HOORAY for Harbor Freight and all of their coupons.

Collected enough gift cards from Sears to get my air compressor, they even had $15 of free Sears Cash. Also earned $53 in more Sears Cash for the purchase so I will swing back and buy my impact gun soon.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    HOORAY for Harbor Freight and all of their coupons.
    I see those coupons every Sunday in the newspaper but the only Harbor Freight store I knew of (until yesterday) is way across town.

Yesterday, while driving home, something caught my eye in a local "dead" shopping center. A Mexican restaurant and a divorcee pickup joint with an upstairs open-air drinking deck survive from its glory days, but they lost a Circuit City store a few years back and that was the beginning of the end. A large and busy Babies-R-Us store kept the place busy for a while, but now that's gone and all that remains besides the restaurant and bar is a dollar store next to what used to be a thrift store. You know it's a bad retail area if a thrift store can't stay open. The drop-off area was always busy, but I guess they didn't have enough shoppers.

There was one of those short-term Halloween stores there last year around this time, but lately I thought the bulldozers would appear any day now to turn the place into something else - apartments, perhaps, or one of the many gyms that seem to pop up in larger retail areas with dead and dying stores.

I was surprised to see they have just opened a new Harbor Freight store in what used to be the thrift store, which in turn used to be the Circuit City.

I'll have to drop by and see what all the fuss is about.

The fuss is super cheap, pretty crappy tools with decent warranties. It's a great place to get stuff that you'll use once or very irregularly, but nothing you'll need to rely on heavily. Also for very simple things - a 5-pack of differently sized funnels or wire brushes, &c.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Even the super cheap crappy tools thing has started to change in the last couple years. Now they've got some lines that ape the stats and appearances of some name brand tools (Earthquake for impact wrenches, Daytona for floor jacks, Hercules for cordless drills). They cost more than the cheapest offerings HF have, but are still substantially cheaper than the name brands.