Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Ratcheting box wrenches (like GearWrench(tm) and similar) are the best thing since sliced bread, IMO.
    +1 - I almost can't understand how I lived my life before those things came out. They are the bomb.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Have ya'll given the "infinite depth" socket wrenches a go? A la og Gearwrenches and Craftsman Max Axess? Also quite nice, especially the slim/low profile ones. In some ways, they are better than box wrenches. Definitely not in all ways, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Ratcheting box wrenches (like GearWrench(tm) and similar) are the best thing since sliced bread, IMO.
    My parents got me a set for Christmas a few years back, and they are indeed great.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    People crap on Craftsman all the time, but with just a few tiny exceptions my experiences have always been very positive. I do buy stuff from Harbor Freight, but all the important stuff is Craftsman and it's never let me down. I think a lot of people judge Craftsman based on the lowest-common denominator tools they put on sale all the time, and forget that they actually have very high end stuff at reasonable prices.
    That's how I feel about their screwdrivers. The cheap Craftsman screwdrivers are crap with easily broken tips, whereas I've found the Professional line to work quite well for my uses. Snap-On might be better, but it's not worth the extra cost to me.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Have ya'll given the "infinite depth" socket wrenches a go?
    What are these? I failed with the Googles.

GearWrenches are indeed the bomb. I have a set as well as a set of similar Husky ratcheting box wrenches. They're both good to have - the Huskies have more of an angle to them, and as such they have a reversible ratchet feature. Handy.

They are basically a hollow socket, so that you don't have to worry about having shallow and deep sockets. They also are lower profile (or can be) than a standard socket wrench + socket.

http://toolmonger.com/2008/04/16/kob...er-long-bolts/
    Whoomah!

The sockets are hollow, so long fasteners fit through them. They'll drive where you'd need deep sockets without needing long sockets. Plus, they put the force at the base of the fastener. Sometimes that's a liability like when you don't have room "down there" to turn the wrench, but they do have extensions to fix that. The sockets are also not super strong (being hollow), but they are strong enough for most everything. I only ever broke my 17mm, and that was loosening a caliper that had been torqued to 125 lb ft... probably a misuse of what would be a 3/8" drive wrench.

That is super cool! I want a set.

Those do appear pretty awesome. I'll keep them in mind for my uncle's christmas present next year.

Also, it appears to have a very similar handle to the craftsman ratchet I mentioned upthread, so thats cool.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Yep, bookmarked.

Thoughts on ratcheting wrenches?
    Last edited by novicius; January 8th, 2014 at 05:51 AM.

Must have. I got by for a long time with just the GearWrench socket wrenches as they do most of the job of ratcheting wrenches, but really you want both. And you want both normal and stubby ones, because often times the thing that makes ratcheting wrenches useful is they are effective in limited space... stubby ones become even more useful in limited space! I've bought only Gearwrench brand ones, but I think the Craftsman ones you linked to might actually be better.