Page 37 of 41 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools.

Lori just bought me one of these. It was on sale, 20% off.

1352001_main.jpg

It's still at the store. I have to arrange with a friend with a pick-up truck to get it. Then, I need to install a new electrical system in the garage to accommodate it.

Dude.

Dude's just gonna put fancier legs on his racing-striped workbench is all.

*scoff*

(wondering when Cam will start taking orders for custom electric guitar bodies and necks)
    Last edited by George; February 10th, 2023 at 11:06 AM.

Bought one of the greatest tools for modern cars today:

Push Pin Pliers

What, you can't bend a fork like the rest of us???

Flat head screw driver

Anyone have a particular air compressor they really like? Thinking about getting one for the garage this winter. I used to have a small relatively portable one but it was pretty useless. Not looking for that, just something I can put in the corner of my garage and run impact guns, impact hammers, etc. I don't know much about them in terms of how they're rated or what kind of maintenance they need (something something oil). I never needed one because I've always had access to a garage with a lift and air system, or I use my Dad's at his place.

Compressors come in oiled and oil-less, but the latter only in smaller sizes. They come in 120v and 240v - the former only in smaller sizes. They are rated in pressure and volume (scfm) and the two are related, but not always listed in a useful fashion so one will be 5scfm@60psi and another will be 8scfm@90psi, giving you no idea how the two actually compare. Compressors also have air storage rated in gallons - the more storage the longer you can run a tool without needing to run the motor. Most automotive tools run at 90psi and need a fair amount of volume. I'd look at tools you want to run for specs, then work backwards. Remember there will be an amorphous area of pressure vs. volume vs. storage - if you have a compressor that is 90psi @ 1 scfm but you have a 100 gallon tank you run a tool that needs 5scfm for a little while, from the tank, but once you've depleted storage the compressor would not be able to keep up with the tool.

My first compressor was from Harbor Freight. It lasted about six years I think before the motor died. I was thrilled with that performance. It was 120v with a smaller compressor and a small tank. I could run an impact wrench and a die grinder, but it couldn't keep up with things like shears or nibblers. IIRC it was $150 after the 20%. Would have been something like this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-to...sor-61454.html

I was happy when it died because it gave me a reason to get something much bigger. I bought a giant (for home use) mofo from Lowes. About $500 after the 10% coupon they used to have. Something like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-60-G...ressor/3370356

I have yet to find a tool it won't run.

240v could be a bummer for you, but if you can get 240v it's what I'd do. Sucks running out of air.

Maintenance is pretty much limited to water drainage and oil changes. For my use (which is probably "a lot" for home use) it's an annual affair. Probably wouldn't want to stretch that much beyond a year no matter what. Takes about 10 minutes and costs about $15.

Remember to budget for a good air hose and some good quick disconnect fittings.

*bookmarked* Thanks!

In the little reading I did today almost everyone said the same thing, look at the tools you want to use and buy slightly bigger. Most everything I want to do is burst-like, though the idea of using an air sander sounds pretty great and also seems like something that could empty a tank pretty fast.

Ignoring the 'bonus' tools here, I liked this in the little bit of browsing I did today: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-ga...p-00916471000P

It seems the market takes a jump from ~$300 to ~$600 without a lot in between.

I think that Craftsman is materially similar to the HF one I had spec-wise. It got me through a lot, no doubt. I would seriously weigh the HF+service contract vs. more reliable name brand scenario.

There is definitely a jump between $300 and $600, which is basically how I got from a $150 undersized HF to a $500 oversized Kobalt. I was trying to spend $400 on a right-size compressor and failed.

On the subject of HF, one thing I have definitely noticed is that I will tend to buy cheap-ass HF air tools on a whim. Something I need to do that HF has a $30 air tool to help and I'll just go for it. It's fantastic. Yeah, I have a bunch of tools I don't use often, but $30 vs. beating my head against a problem isn't even a decision.

One thing I forgot to mention is duty cycle: All these things have a duty cycle, and it's always surprisingly low. What that means is that if you have an X cfm tool and an X cfm compressor, it seems like you can run the tool off the compressor directly (vs the tank) forever. You can't. Most will have something like a 20% duty cycle, which means for every two minutes of running the compressor you need an 8 minute break. I am sure my HF compressor would have lasted longer, but *plenty* of times I was running a 60 or 80% duty cycle. In fact, IIRC, it died after a prolonged run. Never started again.

Oh, snap, you may want to check db output. My HF compressor was LOUD. Couldn't be in the same room with it. I had it in the corner of the workshop so I could close the doors and use it in the garage. The Kobalt isn't quiet, but it's quieter. It's in the garage because that's where the 240v was, and I can stand to be in there while it's running. It's "not so bad."