Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3038394041 LastLast

Thread: Tools.

The toolbox I take to the track is mostly Pittsburgh Tools that I got from HF and they've held up nicely.

I've now been to the new Harbor Freight store thrice in the last couple of weeks, including once when I needed a flashlight/portable lantern to change a tire in the dark. Eight bucks got me a pretty neat one with two modes and magnets and a hanging hook to act as a third hand. Batteries were included, too! What is this sorcery?

This sign was a bit of a head-scratcher, though. If they planned ahead enough to make a sign about this, why call it a parking lot sale at all?

Silly signs aside, I think I have already become a regular customer.

How much were they selling the parking lots for?

They were all bought up by an autocross organization.

I don't know anything about OBDII readers except for what they do in the most general terms. My son has asked for one for Christmas.

Any suggestions for one that would last and that he'd be pleased to own for a long time?

https://www.autoguide.com/best-bluetooth-obd2-scanners

I have no personal experience with any of these (my scanner, if is still have it, is an old thing that just tells you the code when you plug it in), but maybe the info on that site will be helpful.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Are you thinking of a module that will work with a cell phone? Or a stand-alone reader?

If the former, I've been using one of these for years and love it, OBDLink MX+: https://www.amazon.com/OBDLink-Bluet.../dp/B07JFRFJG6
    That said, good God the prices have jumped up. I only paid $85 for mine back in 2017.
    You could step down to the OBDLink LX, you just lose the ability to read some of the more advanced data items from a few manufacturers (GM/Ford). This works with Android just fine but may not work with Apple iPhone (the MX+ above works with both): https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-OBDL...dp/B00H9S71LW/

I might suggest a stand-alone unit like this: https://www.amazon.com/FOXWELL-NT301...dp/B08JGK8PPM/
    While I don't have that specific reader, my BMW M6 came with a BMW-specific Foxwell reader (should have been a red flag, ) similar to the universal one linked here. I can vouch for the quality and am surprised that they're priced that low.

The advantage of the module option is they can stay connected to the OBDII all the time and talk to an app on their phone, like Torque. When you read a code with it you can immediately search online from the app for what the code means. You can also do data logging with them, that's how I capture the on-screen data in my racing videos.

The advantage to the stand-alone reader is that they have all the info right there in the unit, and they feel like an actual tool and not just an antenna.

Either way, I wouldn't go super cheap on these. I bought one as a back-up, one of the cheap $30 units, and that sucker never talked to the car or the phone. Just tuned on the light on the face and did nothing.

Happy to answer any questions if any of the above is confusing.

Thanks to you both. I figured there'd be a lot more knowledge here than at some random Google-suggested "best of" site. I'll check 'em out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    https://www.autoguide.com/best-bluetooth-obd2-scanners

I have no personal experience with any of these (my scanner, if is still have it, is an old thing that just tells you the code when you plug it in), but maybe the info on that site will be helpful.
    I have the #4 Veepeak from that site. I primarily use it to read my ATF temperature while towing my travel trailer because my dash doesn't give that info... I've had it since 2020 and the thing still works during my last camping season earlier this year.

Bryan is a Carly user.