Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Tools.

Holy crap! I've been agonizing over a thingy I need to make for the XR4Ti - some sheet metal bent into a u-shape. I was trying to figure out how to make perfect, 90 degree bends. With no really good ideas I thought I'd see how much a metal brake is, and it turns out not much.. Now to find something local so I don't have to pay a fortune to Eastwood for shipping.

Learn something new every day...

Blue Collar Supply might be able to direct you?
    Whoomah!

They suggested Harbor Freight.

... and that may be an option. I was hoping to find something that could do 14-16 gauge aluminum, but it seems brakes designed for that thickness also expect huge widths and are thus very expensive. As such, I may buy the HF unit for $40, and see how flexible it's 18ga rating is.

Pics or video of the attempt.

Ye of little faith!

I think Imma pick it up tomorrow.

When talking about harbor freight and designed use, with thoughts of almost doubling the thickness of material....yeah

Truth though, I just want to see shit break.

FWIW, the cheapo Harbor Freight metal brake works awesome. They don't tell you that you'll need an assortment of c-clamps, but you do. I made it work with the clamps I had, and I've bent 16ga 8" wide aluminum easily. I also bent a 2" strip of ~10ga aluminum easily. I think its limitations are only published if you're using its full width, but short widths of very thick metal seem like no problem.

In other news, this thing:

is currently rocking my world. Should have bought one years ago, I just didn't know it existed.

A drill press made from a dremel??!?!?!?!

YES! And you can put other bits in it like side cutting or grinding to use it to cut out the centers of things, or debur things. It has changed my life. When this project is done, I'll post it up. It really could not have turned out better, and with very little effort.

Well fuck.

I don't NEED one. But it looks like one of those tools I NEED, if you catch my drift.