Page 491 of 521 FirstFirst ... 391441481489490491492493501 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,910 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Caught?
    No. Saw 5-6 separate Mojave Greens in the past several weeks. We avoided them because they are best avoided and we were 1.5 hours from town. Fortunately, we seemed to usually stumble across them when they had visible bulges from feeding and the dogs never ran into them.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Well, I suppose caught might not have been the best word, but it seemed funny at the time.

I don't know what kind of snake that was, but there are signs all over these trails warning of rattlesnakes. I think that snake might have been dead. It looked okay, but it didn't move at all in the perhaps thirty seconds after I passed, stopped, took a picture, and then got the heck outta there. Seems like a live snake would have heard me coming and moved into the tall grass or wherever they hang out, but I'm no herpetologist.

Might be dead, might not be. Some snakes will just freeze in place if they aren't interested in trouble, other take off if they think you're too big, some will coil and rattle to scare you off, and the worst ones just coil and bite without warning. Where most people get into trouble is when they're attempting to shoo them off with a stick or something.
    Having been bit a few times, I try to ignore and not to mess with them if they're around and unavoidable - Here are some of the copperheads which seemed to enjoy hanging out near my total station set up in the mornings at the site I was working in June. We managed to co-exist fairly well and keep the local rodents from getting into our equipment over night.

Not pictured: The very large (>5ft) western diamondback which decided to hang out right at the mouth of the tunnel we used to access the site on the next-to-last day of the dig and startled one of our field techs so hard she jumped in the creek
    -Formerly Stabulator

Begins thinking of Steve Earle...

...and Samuel L. Jackson...

Jeebus ...

Last edited by G'day Mate; August 15th, 2020 at 05:10 PM.

Something tells me I don't want to watch that.

Administrator
    Good lord, and didn't someone get left-hooked by an idiot driving on the course as well?

Yeah, classic SMIDSY