Page 443 of 523 FirstFirst ... 343393433441442443444445453493 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,430 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Administrator
    In the article, a fun 20 minutes or so with Bike Snob NYC (audio): https://lifehacker.com/how-to-bike-i...nob-1821138904

I need to sell a bike or two before buying another, but I must say I'm very tempted by this one as a potential resto-mod.

Diamondback Ascent EX 21 Speed Vintage Mountain Bike XL Shimano LX! - $150

Check out that paint!

Wow, super short wheelbase on that one!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Cool Ascent!

In related news, Santa is putting someone I know out of his Dandy-horse and into his first true Velocipede.
    acket.

Administrator
    That Ascent was my first real, non-Huffy bike growing up. Went to a real bike shop and everything. I rode the hell out of that thing for years. Even had it in that color.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    In related news, Santa is putting someone I know out of his Dandy-horse and into his first true Velocipede.
    Neat. Share a picture, if you can/want to.

Quote Originally Posted by G'dM
    Wow, super short wheelbase on that one!
    I have a theory about 26"-wheel '90s MTBs, based on owning four currently (two are the kids' bikes). One is a 23", one's a 22.5", one is a 14", and one is a 13.5", Of course geometry varies with each. As an example, the top of the 13.5" bike's headtube is higher off the ground than the 14". Both are Specialized Hardrocks, but from different years (based on logos and components).

But I noticed when installing kickstands on the kids' bikes and the 23" bike I keep in my office downtown that they all seem to have the same bottom br

acket height off the ground, assuming similar tire sizes. I wonder if the wheelbases are pretty close on all 26" MTBs of that era. Certainly the forks are very close in size, regardless of frame size. I wonder if it's just the steeper angles caused by longer seatstays and headtubes that makes the taller bikes look like they have shorter wheelbases.

And I do not need that Ascent, but I check CL just about every day and it's rare to see an older 23" MTB with decent components and the original, matching rigid fork. There are lots of tall, older road bikes, but not so with MTBs. Maybe they all got ridden to death 10 - 20 years ago. But I like 'em. I get to goofing off at work and checking out bikes (and frames to build up from parts) and I see Surly Cross Checks and Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross frames and similar fat-tire road bikes going for ~$500+ for just the frame. I have the idea my Raleigh MTB is a little small and the weird aluminum-glued-to-steel tubing makes me wonder about longevity as well.

Then I see the all-steel Ascent, which has mid-fork eyelets and good components and in a color I like all for only $150. Sure, I'd want to swap some parts immediately (stem, bars, brake levers, shifters, and tires), but bike parts are crazy-cheap compared to just about anything else. I remember when I was obsessed with guitars as I am with bikes now and it costs a LOT more to assemble a decent Stratocaster or Telecaster clone with mostly used parts than to buy and modify an older bike.

It seems like the only major difference between the old MTBs and the new gravel/adventure bikes (other than disc brakes and 9/10/11-speed cassettes) is 700c wheels vs. 26" wheels. I'm perfectly content with 26" wheels and I understand they're stronger than 700s, all things being equal. That's good for this 215-pounder (Hey, it's winter. Gut season!)

Oh well. Just dreaming here. I should be out riding in the fresh snow we got last night instead of sitting in front of this computer.

I hope Santa Claus brings you guys some cool bike-related stuff, if any is on your list, and if you've haven't been naughty this year. That's a big "if" for this crowd, I realize.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Neat. Share a picture, if you can/want to.
    Gosh, be patient, ese!
    acket.

George:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HwSjJ4Ap9TaKARWx2

And yeah, I hate 700c wheels in MTBs. But that's because I'm a shorty.
    acket.

Very cool, Mario. Thanks. Surely I'm not the only one who wanted to see.

The green grass this time of year and mountains get a from me as well.