Page 403 of 523 FirstFirst ... 303353393401402403404405413453503 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,030 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

A winner is you!

And the losers will be those kids on MTBs who (according to convention) have to stop and let me through as I slowly wind my way up their hardcore downhill runs

They don't give a shit about that here.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    what?

Care to explain, both of you...
    acket.

Administrator
    I don't do a lot of MTB riding, but I'd assume that if two riders meet on a trail, one descending at speed and the other slowly spinning uphill, it's considered proper etiquette for the person descending to stop and pull aside to allow the climber to pass safely. Similar thing with two cars on a road where it's too narrow to pass -- it's more dangerous to back up downhill, so the car descending should back up to a spot where both cars can pass each other safely.

Yep, people descending give way to people climbing, or so I'm told.

Actually when I first heard it the person descending was referred to as the "downhill" rider, which confused me a little because in skiing terms the "downhill" person is the person further down the hill.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yeah, that's the rule.

But you have to shout "ON YOUR LEFT!". No wait...

Also, I think it's a bit shit to slowly crawl up some sweet switchback badasssss trails if there's an alternate route to the KOM.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Also, I think it's a bit shit to slowly crawl up some sweet switchback badasssss trails if there's an alternate route to the KOM.
    This probably depends on the trails in question. YW has described MTB trails near him that I imagined as having starting gates at the top, or at least a definite direction to them.

Where I live, the trails tend to stretch out for miles over rolling terrain, so you're climbing some of the time and decending at other times. These aren't "one-way, go with the flow" kinds of trails.

Around here, the climber usually has the right of way, except I've noticed when there's a pair or trio or more riders coming downhill together, the climber (if it's me, anyway) will often pull over and let them zoom by.

We have a mixture of both downhill and single track. I'm not really out to antagonise anyone and I'm pretty sure it'd be impossible to ride up the difficult tracks on an MTB let alone a CX bike anyway.

New bike