Page 461 of 523 FirstFirst ... 361411451459460461462463471511 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,610 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

I go through periods of time when I think a Surly Cross Check or similar is one bike that could replace my two. But they're so expensive! About $1100 - $1200 new, and always asking $600 - $800 (or more) on craigslist.

Today, I found this:

Surly Cross Check with two wheelsets - $400

I'm not much for all-black bikes (or cars, guitars, etc.) but other than that, I can't find much to complain about. Except...

Tomorrow is my wife's birthday. Dang. Lousy timing for bike buying.

But honey, I'll sell the others, I promise!

I don't need anything, but it's fun to see what's for sale.

Administrator
    Finally got around to replacing the wheels and chain on the Madone, as well as giving everything a good cleaning. Wheels are nothing special, Fulcrum Racing 5s, but the Bontrager wheels it came with weren't anything special either. First time it's had a Shimano chain on it since I bought it now that Shimano are nice enough to have a master link instead of making me play with fiddly pins. Interested to see if the shifting performance improves - my LBS kept telling me that using non-Shimano chains with an Ultegra setup was selling myself short, but I've always assumed that they were just looking for that sweet, sweet upsell.

Administrator
    One thing I've learned about my Surly is that it's got some weird parts that are a pain to replace. Like the chainrings are 5 bolt, 110 bcd in 48, 38, and 26 teeth if memory serves. I could only find two makers of those, one was the OEM part maker for Surly who only sell directly to manufacturers and the other was Raceface. It also uses mountain-bike sizes for wheels but didn't have disc brakes, which is making it harder and harder to find wheelsets for it (I'm still using ones with holes for schrader valves despite having prestas as it's the best I could find short of having someone custom make them). Before you buy it, figure out how easy it is to get replacement parts for it, it's my only real complaint with my Long Haul Trucker.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I'd think that with your superior Yankee parcel and bona fide costumer services, LBS specializing in certain drivetrains would be a google search away for you American velouminatii.
    acket.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I was thinking you could find someone like Harris Cyclery and ask them.
    acket.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Before you buy it, figure out how easy it is to get replacement parts for it, it's my only real complaint with my Long Haul Trucker.
    Good to know. I thought I had read that Surly stuff was pretty standard, but of course I can't speak from experience. And I didn't buy it - didn't really plan to, but it's fun to daydream sometimes. For what it's worth, that ad was gone Saturday morning, which isn't surprising.

Mostly I look for classic mountain bikes on craigslist and look forward to what the kids might grow into next.

Specialized Rock hopper 17" - $20

Trek 950 Singletrack - $80

Giant Iguana mountain bike. 21 speed - $35

Superior Yankee craigslist!

Administrator
    You always make me wish we had more space, Michele's laid down a strict limit of four bikes (two are hers), though I think I could get away with a Brompton as a fifth.

How about a Minivelo? I saw a guy with one on the train the other day that looked really cool.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...iABEgKJOfD_BwE

There's a video at the link above as well.

Check out the headtube-mounted shifters!

Only if you really intend to take advantage of its design. I.e. take it commuting on a train or something.