Page 450 of 523 FirstFirst ... 350400440448449450451452460500 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Administrator
    Heh, if it was still officer Helper, totally. But the past few years have been held to a pretty strict 16mph limit, which isn't bad, but sometimes you want to go a little faster.

I'd struggle to balance

Well played, Mr. Aero Beard.

Lori and I went mountain biking today for the first time in ages. I haven't been on a bike for months. I am sooo out of shape. We chatted with a fellow cyclist who lamented being out of shape. Meanwhile, he looked like a body builder.

Yep, I'm pretty out of shape too. I miss bicycle commuting. The free time outside of work just isn't as available with a wife and kids. We had great weather this past weekend except for the wind. It was so windy I struggled to pedal DOWNHILL after leaving my house for a ride. And what is it about wind causing an instantly runny nose? That's happened before and it's weird - it's like having a sudden head cold.

But, I did get the kids some new helmets, as they had both outgrown and worn out their old ones. And I got my wife a new saddle, since her old one broke when she pulled too far into the garage, tapped a roll-out trash or recycling bin, and knocked her own bike over that was on the other side. I also removed the rear rack and bag from her bike and installed a $20 top tube bag from Wal-Mart to hold her keys, garage door opener, and phone, per her request. It's hard to see in the picture, but it's a Zefal brand and seems like decent quality.

If anyone needs a saddle for upright-ish riding, I got that one at a Specialized dealer for $9.99 plus tax. I was surprised to find that, as they're a pretty expensive LBS for just about everything else. I had gone there and to a couple other places with my son looking for helmets for the kids and maybe a newer one to replace my dingy old one but couldn't find anything in his/their size except at Wal-Mart.

Last edited by George; March 26th, 2018 at 11:32 AM.

Went with a Transonic. Love this bike. Haven't put major mileage ride on it yet, but what I have been riding, it feels great.

Position is very similar to my Roubaix. Weight feels slightly lighter, but not considerable. Drivetrain is night and day, feels so much smoother. I can't say I took very good care of my old bike. I think I was still on the first chain.

I love the way it soaks up little vibrations. I ride over lots of brick crosswalks, and you can barely feel the difference now.

Only issue if the font derailleur is a pit of a pain to get into the big ring. I've tried adjusting it a bunch, and I can't quite figure it out.

I've been using Strava again. Follow me if you aren't already!

https://www.strava.com/athletes/2132194

Nice. Did you buy it from a bike shop? If so, I would be taking it back to fix your derailleur issue.

Administrator
    Nice ride, and seconding what Cam says. They should be able to sort any front derailleur fun. Helps that it's only a double up front too, my Surly has a triple and is just a constant source of annoyance.

Yeah, I'll be doing that, it's just that it's like 45 minutes away without traffic.

Wierd thing is, it shift prefectly when I'm not on the bike, while checking it out, but as soon as I ride it... So some kind of flex is happening somewhere I guess.

Hey FaF, that Transonic looks sharp! I love the scenery, too.

It's just barely starting to look like spring here in between snowstorms. Starting to see some green grass and buds on the trees.

I knocked over my MTB in the garage last weekend - on the drive side, naturally. I didn't think much of it until I tried to go for a ride this past Saturday. I have a slightly bent derailleur hanger (again). It's not bad, but there's some clicking noise that wasn't there before and I can see the misalignment while looking down while riding. I'm thinking of buying the tool at around $75 and fixing it myself from here on. The only other time this happened I think I paid an LBS $20 to fix it, so I'm thinking I can justify the tool if I've needed it twice now in a couple/few years, and since I have a bunch of bikes to keep running for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    my Surly has a triple and is just a constant source of annoyance.
    Having switched to bar-end shifters on my MTB and in the process of installing them on the bike I keep in the city, I'm a fan of friction shifting for front derailleurs. I typically only need to trim the FD when it's on the middle chainring, but that's most of the time, and it's nice to be able to do so and not have to deal with rubbing and clicking when the chain is at one end of the cassette or the other.

I replaced the worn trigger shifters on my son's MTB with some new triggers, and have the parts ready to do the same on my daughter's MTB, but I keep thinking I should have ordered trigger shifters for the rear and old school thumb shifters for their front shifters, but I'm probably geeking out over nothing important here. I spend too much time reading bike repair stuff online and not enough time riding.

Lunch Bike is home now, getting some new handlebars. Not these bars - they're going back to the co-op, but they were fun to mess with as long as I was removing the narrow flat bars and annoying twist-grip shifters.