Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Salty/Spicy Snacks aka something for TSG to drool over.

Salty/Spicy Snacks aka something for TSG to drool over.

I noticed that Doritos has three new "test flavors" available now. I tried #404(Yellow bag) and liked them a lot. You can taste a hint of lime on the front end but it doesn't overpower the tastiness of the rest of it. The bags are silver with either a yellow, blue or red insert and the test flavor number.

Color me intrigued! Wishing I spent more time in gas stations this last weekend...

http://www.eonline.com/news/536821/w...inions-of-each

Looks like I have something to do this weekend!

Got all three!

The yellow ones are very good. A coworker suggested the flavor is ginger, and I think he's right. I thought it was lime at first, but after a few I was definitely getting a ginger vibe.
    The red ones are GREAT. It's like Sriracha at first, but gives way to a smooth, spicey flavor. These are probably the best, but the yellow ones are damned good.
    The blue ones are lame. Not bad, just not good. They taste like a slightly flavored corn ship, like someone shook up Doritos leftovers in a bag of plain chips.

My takeaway is that:

Yellow is Asian themed
    Red is Mexican themed
    Blue is British themed

Did you have the blue ones last? Or with anything to conflict with their flavor? My coworker and I tried them first and got a chipotle vibe from them, but they are very muted. They have a nice heat build up as well.

Agreed with yellow and red. Asian and Mexican are the best ways to describe it I guess. Definitely got the lime flavor from red. I couldn't put my finger on yellow exactly, but it had some sort of other cirtus-y sauce flavor?

I went back to the blue a while later, and did indeed change my opinion. They have a sweetness to them that finishes spicey, maybe like a mole flavor. By themselves, they are actually super tasty... they just can't stand against really strong flavors. I think if I had to eat a whole bag of Doritos, I'd go with them!

I tried the red bag today. Really good. I'll give the blue a go next week.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Are TAKIS available in the U.S.? Widely or just at the mexican marketas?
    acket.

Pretty widely available I'd say - definitely at a good selection of convenience stores.

I've tried two varieties, and one of them was, well, revolting. It tasted like the flavor packet from chicken flavor Top Ramen. Ick. I don't have a specific recollection of the other, but I think they are where Doritos go the Dinamita idea.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yeah, I had the Guac variety, pretty much on the gross side of snacks.
    acket.