Page 497 of 521 FirstFirst ... 397447487495496497498499507 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by neanderthal View Post
    yup.

I was cruising one day, feeling good. On the slight uphill section of my climb, but I was feeling great and maintaining a good speed (10mph maybe? ) for me, and this old dude, comes by me like i'm standing still. Lower cadence. Just cruised right by me like I was standing still. That defeated me. Here I was in my thirties, fit because rugby, cycling to cross train, and this tall 60 something old dude just made me look like I needed training wheels.
    Lol, at least in my case the guy was younger. I was climbing Mt. Wilson and getting pretty close to the top. Had probably cleared about 7,000 ft of climbing by that point, and I was just suffering. Some younger guy spins up next to me and, not even out of breath, is like "fun climb, right!" and then spun off.

I would have murdered him right there if I'd had any energy left.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Is this talk of cycling speed just a mating call for Dave?
    Dave's not here, man.

Meanwhile, in Adelaide...

I should make it clear that when I was a "club rider" in the early 1980's, I never considered myself a strong rider. (Nor did others, for that matter, though they did recognize what strengths I did have).

I seem to recall my best 40km time trial time was 64:20. That was one lap plus two short-cuts of the same lap to total the distance. In about 1982. On a standard late 1970's vintage road bike, not a time trial special. I felt I might do a bit better the next year in the annual challenge with the club from Buffalo, New York, but we had a comedy-of-errors getting four of us to Buffalo in an old Chevy Vega, and did not arrive in time to participate. Actually I think the 64:20 was at our hosting of the event, north of Toronto, and I believe I rode with tights because it was an unusually chilly early August morning.

I expected to do that time trial in under 1:15 at that time, and was usually between 1:08 and 1:12. In their 15km trials I always did well under 30 minutes, I seem to recall usually under 27. Once I came within seconds of 25mph, but did not quite achieve that.

Once the same club had a 50 mile alleged handicap race on roughly the same course, but more laps. I was not one of the stronger riders, but I think I started in the second group from scratch (slowest group started first, fastest group last with I think 2 minutes between them), and essentially ended up solo most of the time. The eventual winner from the scratch group (which started last) caught me and dropped me, and some time later the main scratch pack caught and dropped me. I can't remember if I caught any of the other groups. I sort of think I did, but don't recall for sure. But I'm sure I finished in significantly under 2:30. And while I don't remember the details, I think I was alone most of the ride. The handicapping had been done "by feel" and not very scientifically.

But I've really lost a lot in the last recent few years. A lot.

My current favourite 40km/25mi route, which includes traffic lights getting out-of-town I haven't got close to 1:30 for several years, even though pre-2013 and Strava getting the time to 1:30 would be my "base" for training. So I've even been below 20km/hr for some rides in recent years, and never clearly above 25. But I've not managed to get many mid-week rides in recent years, either. Years ago, I'd expect to build up to doing the over75-not-quite-80km extension of the route in under three hours, but sometime again around 2013 that just didn't seem to be happening.

And I never ever managed to finish 100miles in under 6 hours, let alone faster.

I was surprised how fast Fogey's ride was when I saw it on Strava. I guess he has a good base from running. Maybe he should learn to swim too and do triathlons. Both swimmers and runners seem to jump into cycling with a useful strength advantage.
    Last edited by SportWagon; April 19th, 2021 at 02:31 PM.

They go from running to cycling because cycling is better.

I've done the opposite and now I hate myself.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    you probably use purple tape on your calves and thighs now.
    acket.

Let me ask the gallery a question. I used to ride mountain bikes many years ago...nothing serious but it was fun because of my motorcycling background. After getting married almost 25yrs ago I have steadily put on weight, my job is sedentary (photography is 20% shooting and 80% sitting at the computer) and I've just ballooned. I'm 52 now and ready to get back into some sense of shape. I'm 5'10 and about 220lbs...I have always been thin framed so my optimum weight is likely 180-190 but I'd settle for getting below 200 for starters.

Thinking I want to buy a bike and start riding 3-4 times a week. Start out super light so I don't die then work into longer rides. Is this a decent way to lose some weight? Especially if I start slowing down my tendency to overeat (or eat poorly) and work in some mild weight training every now and then?

Last summer I started working out almost every other day while running 30mins on the days I didn't work out. Went from about 224 to 205. Then my work picked up and I stopped working out from Oct til now. So I'm back where I started but I hate running and would like to get back on a bike after many years.

Is this a viable option if I stick to it?

Administrator
    It worked pretty well for me. I can tell you that *not* doing it regularly has had the opposite effect on me, so there's gotta be something there.

Of course, any regular exercise is good for you. I think there is plenty of discussion about this type of thing in the workout thread... if you can ignore the petty squabbles.