Page 472 of 521 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,720 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    Is it Bubbles who shows up on the strava club records but whose rides can't be found?
    I still um and arr about privacy settings on Strava. Tales of people e-stalking cyclists to pinch their bikes. Perhaps I worry too much. Not sure.

On biking: I've started running - I thikn it's a midlife crisis - as its something cheap and quick to do. Within a few weeks of starting I can now to 4/5km without stopping and my pace is slowly increasing. It has an a noticable affect on my cycling, which is great.

Also, can anyone recommended a decent XC tyre? My 27.5 2.6 trail tyres are an utter slow on anything 'tame' and the 75 mile ride I'm doing in September doesn't need anything too gnarly. I'm thikning 2.0-2.2 tops, low resistance, high speed. What's out there?

How about something like a Schwalbe G-One?

Here are links to a couple versions at their North America website:

G-One Speed: https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_t...es/G-ONE_Speed

G-One Allround: https://www.schwalbetires.com/G-One_Allround

27.5 "Gravel/Adventure" tires at www.biketiresdirect.com, which may not ship to the UK but you might get some ideas: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/sear...=3752&fcat=cgx

A pretty good mountain bike forum: https://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

A more general bicycle forum with less mountain bike content: www.bikeforums.net

Did 30km on Saturday and 45km on Sunday, 45km being the longest I've ever ridden. Couldn't do a meter more once I got back. I was chuffed, and annoyed, as I wanted to get to 50km.

^ Looks like the Canadian in our midst immediately knew how far that was in kilometres. Now that I've had time to break out the slide rule and abacus and do some cipherin', I concur.

10km = (just over) 6miles
    40km = (just under) 25miles

Your route was somewhat hilly, too.

I feel more tired than I used to by my rides. Sort of a need for a nap afterwards, and some lingering feeling in the days following, too.

Highlight of my ride last Sunday was getting waved at by an apparent older Mennonite farmer going the other way. (I.e. he waved first). Well, true, if you ignore the mustache, my beard does look a little Mennonite-ish. I, of course, returned the gesture, with an enthusiastic audible greeting, also.

Another wave from another elderly cycling enthusiast when I was on Country Squire Road.
    Last edited by SportWagon; June 26th, 2019 at 05:02 AM.

I changed the CR2032 in my 30-year old Heart Rate transmitter and now it seems to be working reliably again. It's not the first time I've changed it, mind you.

Friday night I was having beer with a few university students. Computer Science Club members all of them.

One fit-looking young woman decided she would cycle with her boyfriend to Elora the next morning, while a couple of other guys agreed to drive up to meet them.

She looked at some of my Strava rides to help plan a route. She looked fit, but not really like a dedicated cyclist.

Nearly the last I saw of her that evening was her smoking a cigarette with the smokers outside.

Eventually I found via Strava she'd gone for the ride. They'd extended their route there, perhaps because of modern communication with the drivers. All-in-all they did 82km (just over 50miles) at a 24km/hr (almost 15 mph) pace (for moving time; with socializing the elapsed time was over 5 hours). Her stats for the year work out to a 24km/hr moving time, also.

At least partly because of the beer night, I didn't go out until Sunday morning. Perhaps they inspired me to extend my ride from West Montrose to Elora, though. My trip took about the same moving time, even though I had no extra distance.
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 1st, 2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    Your route was somewhat hilly, too.
    Not only do I live on a hill, so I've always got that to look forward to at the end of a ride, I am surround by flowing hilly farm-scape, so yes - I'll never have a flat ride.

My road bike is now for sale. It's just too big for me and now settle into the carbon aluminium rim disc budget creep that comes along. I've seen a lovely Orbea. I just need to sell a kidney!

Oh. I put on some race spec 2.2" XC tyres on my MTB and was about 0.5kp/h on average slower than my road bike with it's 100psi 28mm tyres. Either the tyres are amazing, or my legs are getting stronger

It's not the bike (or the tyres); it's the engine.

(That said, my bike seems to be a little slower this year.)

Administrator
    Michele started a new job, now she works in Santa Monica at an office that's basically on my existing route. Her first day was last Wed., and that's the only day she's driven, she's biked every other day. She did her first ever solo bike commute on Friday, and has done half of them on her normal Trek 7.7 and half on her new e-bike:

Gotta say, it's really, really nice to be able to commute together. Feels like going for a fun bike ride with her twice a day. I'm also seriously considering also going the e-bike route for some of the days when I'm tired/want to not be sweaty when I get to work.