Page 462 of 521 FirstFirst ... 362412452460461462463464472512 ... LastLast
Results 4,611 to 4,620 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

For you guys in the USA who shop at Performance Bicycle, this looks like a good deal this weekend:

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...shorts-11-3540

I have two pairs of the Performance Elite shorts that are probably three years old and have held up well. They remain opaque, most importantly.

They used to be fifty bucks (well, $49.99, like retailers do) per pair until this summer, when I went to buy another pair and found out they had gone up to sixty dollars and had a different color padding inside. Of course, they're always marked "ON SALE!" but sixty bucks was high enough to make me not grab a pair as I headed to checkout with my brake pads or whatever I was buying that day.

They're actually on sale at a reduced price this weekend for $29.99. Just thought I'd pass that along in case anyone is looking for reasonably-priced shorts that hopefully are still as well made as the older versions I have.

Disclaimer: these are the only bike shorts I've ever worn, so I don't know how they compare to Brand X.

Administrator
    Their stuff is usually pretty good for the price. They're not going to be as comfortable as nicer shorts, but they're definitely good enough, I've done century rides in their bib shorts.

We just recently got Jump Bikes in Santa Monica, and they've been offering free rides for the past couple of weeks to get people to use them over the electric scooters. I really hope they take off, they're awesome. Took one to go three miles to lunch, only took me about 14 minutes and didn't break a sweat, even though it was uphill most of the way. Plus they're more stable, you can actually take a hand off the bars to signal (which is really tough on the scooters), and they've got a basket and a cupholder - I've already used them twice to go to another lunch spot that makes awesome sandwiches and brought everything back to the office in the basket. Absolutely brilliant way to get around town.

On the downside, they're way more expensive than the traditional bikeshare here. I've got an annual plan for those, so I get 90 minutes of free riding time a day for $99 a year, which works out to less than 30 cents a day for them. There are no plans for the Jump bikes, so they'll be $1 for the first five minutes, then $0.15 per minute after that. On the other hand, they're dockless so you can ride them to any destination, and the bikes they use out here for the traditional bikeshare are easily the worst bikeshare bikes I've ever ridden - that shaft drive on them feels like pedaling through mud, and the shifters are pretty crap causing the bikes to drop out of gear all. the. time. For the sandwich shop, though, it's cheaper to take a Jump bike than it is to take the bus, so that seems worth it.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 12th, 2018 at 09:53 AM.

This is why you need a Lunch Bike in your office.

WWOPD?

I've got an annual plan for [traditional bikeshare], so I get 90 minutes of free riding time a day for $99 a year
    Hey, that's not bad. I should look into that.

We have red Jump Bikes all over the place in downtown Denver. They look sturdy and well-built from casual glances, and have expensive tires, too - Schwalbe Marathon tires on the ones I've paid that much attention to.

Administrator
    The Denver B-Cycle plans are even better. $95 a year and you get unlimited rides as long as each ride is under 30 minutes. If you're looking like you'll go over, just dock and then undock, 30 minutes reset. $135 raises that to 60 minutes per ride. Also, the bikes themselves are way better than our "Social Bicycles" bikeshare bikes. Michele and I did 25 miles on the B-Cycles bikes, and while they were nowhere as good as our own bikes, I wouldn't even dream of doing 25 miles on a Social Bikes bike.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; October 12th, 2018 at 01:11 PM.

Here's a site that lets you compare different kinds of handlebars: http://whatbars.com/

Administrator
    Going back through some Bike Snob posts, enjoyed this one.

https://www.outsideonline.com/232678...our-mouth-shut

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

About 2/3 of the way down that page is an article I like titled "Make Driving Dangerous Again".

"All we’ve got to do is rip out all these damn features and creature comforts and Make the Automobile Dangerous Again...

Best of all, the price of your next car will almost certainly come down dramatically."

Preach on, brother! I've been ranting about this for years, if not decades, unrelated to cycling.

Administrator
    I really enjoy bikesnob's articles. If you feel like wasting a ton of time, he's got like 8 years of blogging archives at http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com I personally think he's funny as hell and often has pretty astute observations.

I've seen his stuff before, probably all from links like yours here and elsewhere. Some of it makes me glad I'm not an "urban cyclist". You guys have an entirely different set of risks and potential problems than us suburban types who ride on much quieter streets and off-road.

More silliness on this day before a holiday where everyone in my office is idly watching the clock and waiting to leave:

This weekend I'm going to try to get Lunch Bike re-cabled and off to its new owner. It's been gathering dust on the wrong side from hanging upside down in my garage all summer. Seems like there is always something more important to do, such as...

My son's left crank arm has fallen off while he was riding it twice now. The first time, I removed the dust cap, cleaned the threads and everything I could reach in there with a rag, and re-installed the nut that holds the crank arm on with a 14mm socket.

It was good for about two weeks of him riding to school almost daily. Often I'd reach down and give it a pull while passing it in the garage to make sure it was still tight, but then it came off again one day. Google says I need to use a torque wrench and tighten it a lot (that's a highly precise measurement) and that it may need a new bottom br

acket installed if the problem persists. I don't know why it would if the threads are clean and not stripped (they're not), but what do I know? It's probably another chance to buy tools and learn stuff with the kids. Always so many chores at home, but bike work is among the fun stuff.

I have always enjoyed shopping craigslist. Here is my If I Needed A Bike Today choice of the day. Actually, I'd prefer something without all the new parts for about half the price so I could choose and install my own new stuff as needed, but the colors are great and it looks like it's in really nice condition.

Trek 850 , brand NEW tires & accessories - $200