Page 511 of 520 FirstFirst ... 11411461501509510511512513 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,110 of 5200

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I have not used my road bike in two years.
    *checks calendar*

I'm still at months of sloth rather than years.
    Last edited by George; November 15th, 2022 at 06:23 PM.

Me three. Months. Years actually if you excuse the two times I actually rode my bike. Of course in my case, I was rear ended three years ago while on my motorcycle.

I'm trying to lose 30lbs so I can get back surgery, so i'm trying to do cardio. Been going up and down the stairs in our parking garage, 50 flights of stairs. Walking 2 miles. Tried the rowing machine a couple of times but I may have aggravated my back once, or maybe twice. So i'm cagey about doing that.
    But i have ridden the stationary bike several times. And yesterday I was feeling very fit, even though i haven't lost weight.

I did 25 minutes on the bike in the morning, went to work, then 50 flights of stairs at night, then did a 2 mile walk right before midnight.
    I'm feeling fitter. Blood pressure is not normal, still a little bit high, but getting lower. Resting heart rate has come down too, from low 90s to high 60s/ low 70s.

Administrator
    I haven't done much with Strava, but mostly because the majority of my rides these days are on an e-bike and it feels like cheating to have your times pop up on segments when you've got a battery helping you.

Today I was riding home listening to a podcast on my earbuds. A block from home, a bee flew into one of the vents in my helmet. I could feel it digging around and did not want to get stung, so I shook my helmet around a bit to try to get it to fly out. That did work, but it also launched my left earbud out of my ear when the helmet strap caught the bottom of my ear. I rode up and down the street a few times but couldn't find it. Then I got the idea that maybe they have one of those "find my phone" things for the earbuds, so I took at my phone as I was at the curb. They did, but you have to have it connected over bluetooth for it to work. I thought better about riding around with my phone in my hand staring at it, so I went to get off the bike and put it up on its kickstand, which got all fiddly and then I promptly dropped my phone on the ground, cracking the glass.

Walked around with my newly cracked phone and never did get the other earbud to connect. I did arouse the suspicion of a neighbor who told me she was calling the cops, so that was fun.

Recording e-bike rides as bicycle rides is definitely cheating and I get annoyed about it, though I tend not to call people out on it. I believe you can designate an activity as an e-bike ride, which I would hope would stop you from showing in the same leaderboards as proper cyclists. It would be neat if they would share the segments but with different record lists, but I don't think that's how it works. I don't feel old enough to need an e-bike yet.

It looks like I won't manage an average of 50km a week for 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I did arouse the suspicion of a neighbor who told me she was calling the cops, so that was fun.
    Insert Karen meme.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    I believe you can designate an activity as an e-bike ride, which I would hope would stop you from showing in the same leaderboards as proper cyclists.
    You can, and it does. However, you have to do it per-ride, and at least back when I was trying to fiddle with it, you couldn't tie it to what bike you were riding. It meant that I had to remember after every e-bike ride to go check Strava and, in the meantime, if I managed to set a good time it'd send notifications to people about it before I had a chance to edit the ride. It was easier to just stop recording.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon
    I don't feel old enough to need an e-bike yet.
    Rude. Seriously, though, it's great for things like biking to lunch, dinner, or work. Makes it a little more utilitarian vs. recreation/exercise, and you end up less sweaty when you get wherever you were going. Also, my e-bike is a weird "kinda looks like a folding bike but isn't" looking thing with small wheels and a great big basket in the front and it's dorky as hell and incredibly useful for doing shopping and nobody wants to steal it. Integrated rear wheel lock shares the key with the battery mount, so you just lock the back wheel, U-lock the frame to something (nothing is quick release, so I don't even bother with the front wheel usually), and you're good to go. I feel way more comfortable biking to lunch and leaving it locked up for an hour or so than I would with my Madone.

Yes, I have done very little utilitarian cycling after we left Toronto in 1990. Not really sure how to fit it in to established routines. In Toronto I did bicycle commute about ten miles each way. But when we moved here I was close enough to walk to work.

As an old person I thought I could get away with comments about not feeling old.

One guy I have bicycled with a few times, but I mostly just watch on Strava, appeared to switch to an e-bike because his body does not really respond to exercise/training. I continue to notice my response to training, within my own limits. And I still haven't trained hard since the early 1990's. It must be discouraging for people who do not notice much response at all to exercise.

When you start recording in the Strava app, it is perhaps not obvious you can tap the bicycle at the top to change to a different activity before you start recording. I almost didn't find it when I did a "walk" (actually snow shovelling) last Sunday. Rationally, your e-bike activity "garage" should be distinct from that for [bicycle] ride activities and have a different default equipment entry. But I can see how that might have got muddled up as they developed it, and I very much doubt you can move an equipment entry from one "garage" to another after-the-fact. But perhaps you can.

Actually my recollection of the app was wrong. At the TOP it says "Ride" (or whatever), and that cannot be changed. Down the bottom is the icon for bicycle, or e-bike, or walk, etc. It is that which must be selected to change the activity type. (And then the activity name at the top changes). At the start you cannot see the equipment being used, let alone change it. That is annoying. It is when you are doing "Save" that you can see that. (which means I can't verify what equipment is available for an e-bike ride without actually creating one).

I guess the save is designed to work for GPS recordings from other sources. Selecting the activity type at the start can affect aspects of the recording. Although under settings it seemed not all values are automatically changed appropriately.
    Last edited by SportWagon; November 22nd, 2022 at 02:28 PM.

Administrator
    Part of my problem too is that I was using things like Garmin or Wahoo bike computers to handle the rides, so they didn't give me the same options the Strava app does.

Administrator
    Sure enough, the mobile Strava app lets you pick an e-bike ride, so I actually tracked one today. Very slow because it included a stop for some cold brew at the farmer's market, then a stop at a little record store, and finally lunch.

Well that should keep your account around for another two years...