Page 101 of 523 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Oh yeah, I got a GoPro for my birthday so I'll be videoing some of my favourite roads and posting them up here

Nice. Happy Birthday!

Was hoping for some vids of Tom braving eight lanes of traffic and Cam falling down but I know if Cam is still in Columbia, he's hiding out in the air conditioning every minute he can and cycling through the humid soup that passes for air down there is the last thing on his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate from a warm tropical paradise
    I want to say "cold" but I'm afraid you'll laugh at me.
    Well, I wasn't going to, but...

Just got to work. 12 outside.
    (comments about attire and being too hot carefully deleted and ignored)

Now I was thinking, "Okay, 12 degrees is a cold winter day by anyone's standards. I don't think I'd ride if..." and then I realized you're speaking Celsius! Good gosh, man, here at the height of summer on July 29 at 7:30 PM, it is 65 degrees F / 18 degrees C and I just rode home in a cold rain. It will probably be "12" tomorrow when I leave for work.

To be fair, it should be in the 90s F / 30s C this time of year, so I guess I'm boasting about how great the weather is here. We're having an exceptionally cool summer here, and I'm lovin' it!

Thoughts on riding the rain:

I rode the MTB home one afternoon in the rain last summer and those tires threw up sheets of water that drenched me immediately. Road bike tires throw up a little skinny razor blade of water that gets you just as wet eventually, but takes much longer to get every nook and cranny soaked.

Funny how bike shorts work. They let sweat out, but they also let water in.

I was wearing a wicking shirt, too. I probably could have stripped down to my shoes and not gotten any wetter. The Allez is a mess but I plan to be on it tomorrow no later than 7:00 AM.

Yeah, for what it's worth it's been pretty warm minimum-wise this year. Normally in July we'll get a few mornings around 1 or 0 but there's been nothing like that this year.

Administrator
    We've had a really humid summer so far, much moreso than usual (we even had a summer thunderstorm, we rarely get those). I'm tired of sweating this much.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Now I was thinking, "Okay, 12 degrees is a cold winter day by anyone's standards. I don't think I'd ride if..." and then I realized you're speaking Celsius! Good gosh, man, here at the height of summer on July 29 at 7:30 PM, it is 65 degrees F / 18 degrees C and I just rode home in a cold rain. It will probably be "12" tomorrow when I leave for work.

To be fair, it should be in the 90s F / 30s C this time of year, so I guess I'm boasting about how great the weather is here. We're having an exceptionally cool summer here, and I'm lovin' it!
    It is the middle of winter where he is.

He's also almost in the most southerly part of Australia, which would presumably get the coldest in the winter for that continent. Still not cold by mile high city standards. Even the 32F he says sometimes happens isn't as cold as Colorado can get.

65F isn't even cold for San Diego in the winter.

Saying that Adelaide is in the most southerly part of Australia is kinda right but a bit misleading because the top half is barely even inhabited apart from the east cost. We're almost as far north as Sydney, and Melbourne's a fair bit further south, hence their shit weather. Our climate is usually described as "Mediterranean".

Here's a good diagram ...

Adelaide sits in the right-most orange blob on Australia. That big yellow patch in the middle is where nobody lives, and you'll probably find that about 70% of our population lives in the green strip in the east (given that it includes Melbourne, which is about 50/50 in that diagram).

That diagram is kind of messed up for the US. The Rocky Mountain range runs from Canada to Mexico and it is most definitely mountainous the whole way, including climate, and George lives in the middle of it.

Dickhead threatened me and tried to force me out of the way just now. Details will be available from the report which is pending being posted on streetshk.crowdmap.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    We've had a really humid summer so far, much moreso than usual (we even had a summer thunderstorm, we rarely get those). I'm tired of sweating this much.
    I'll take humid over Santa Ana's with half the county on fire any day.

I stopped wearing my helmet cam because nothing notable has happened to me in the year I've been cycling to school... until yesterday.

Four-way stop. I stop and wait my turn, as there were two cars before me on the cross street that stopped before me. They went and I felt it was my turn. Next dude in line on the right, simply just keeps rolling without stopping, talking on his phone. (Driving and talking on a hand-held has not been outlawed in SC yet.) He's moving slow and he's looking right at me. I slow down, thinking he's just not going to stop. He slows down a bit too, and now we're crawling toward the middle of the intersection. I put my hand out in a "stop" motion and say, "STOP!" He stops, so I go. As I roll away, I can hear him yelling at me, "blah, blah, punk-ass pussy, blah, blah!"

In hind sight, I should have just stopped, let him go and not antagonized him. Back to wearing the camera, I guess.