Page 102 of 521 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Not much has happened to me since my "spy-glasses" crapped out about a year ago either, but now that I've got a camera again I've gone straight back to using it.

Yeah, today I didn't have my helmet (just a short ride from my bike shop to my office) or a camera. Sadly this is really coming to "camera on every helmet" territory, even for 6-minute rides. Then I need to keep the battery charged all the time. My VIO isn't practical as it requires a backpack, so it looks like I'll have to give in and buy a Gopro, although I really want to wait for a VIRB2.

Anyway, the whole thing is fucking idiotic. Needing to spend money and video shit just in order to protect myself? WTF. Having said that, I suppose I have dashcams in all of the cars.
    Last edited by Yw-slayer; July 30th, 2014 at 06:11 AM.

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Fate seems to go out of its way to make bad things happen when you forget the camera or forget to charge the battery.

I think I may have just started something cool - I hope it turns into a regular thing!

So there's a guy I do semi-regular rides before work with and often a third guy joins us as well. Next week we've decided to take him to Mt Osmond - a short, steady, steep climb really close to the city. I said that I really wanted to do a PB attempt so I would let them go ahead. Then I looked at how much time they'd need based on their own PBs and started thinking that a handicapped race to the top would be really cool. Those two liked the idea (although #3 doesn't yet have a benchmark time) so I then extended the offer to a few others and it looks like there'll be at least one extra joining us He's slow too, so he'll get almost a 5-minute head start while the rest of us slowly turn blue at the bottom.

This is the segment for those interested - http://app.strava.com/segments/628310. It's a really cool course for this because from the half-way mark it bends back around itself in a few different ways and you can see varying distances behind you, so those in front will know when people are getting close and those trying to catch them should have some pretty nice carrots dangled in front. Hopefully the slow people stick with it because they'll improve the fastest and will have the best opportunity to win early on.

I'm looking forward to it

Administrator
    I got some spare batteries from Wasabi, they've been great for keeping the GoPro charged. My biggest problem is that the local PD won't do much with it.

The Fly6 won't ship to HK as they don't have warranty support here. Rats.

Seems a bit excessive to get 2x VIRBs just as a rearcam, though. May look into some of the el cheapo options here, then switch to the Fly6 if they ever move out here. I suppose I could always just buy a Fly6 with no warranty support.

Incident report I up, if anyone cares. Formatting is fucked (original submission had paragraphs).

https://streetshk.crowdmap.com/mobile/reports/view/71

You still drive on the left in Hong Kong? So the right-hand lane is in the centre of the road, and not kerb-side? I.e. right-turns are the "hard" ones?

Yes, we drive on the left, and the right-hand lane would be the lane away from the curb. I'm not sure by "hard", but yeah, I did take the lane while turning. I really don't see what else I could have done, he was clearly trying to force himself ahead of me even though I was well in front of him.