Page 302 of 521 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Possibly. Just pointing out that it's not a great idea to hurtle into a spillway flip bucket without being very sure you know what's under the water.
    Whoomah!

What fresh hell is this? overpowered's Avatar
    Better Fred than dead

I found this and just couldn't stop watching. It's long but very good, IMO.

Who rides across the country with white bar tape?

Administrator
    OP, how much are you loving the absolute fucking nutjobs living across San Diego Bay from you?

I hardly ever go to Coronado, so I don't really care. Yeah they're wackos, but then I'm not a huge fan of most bike lanes either, so I'm kind of on their side but for completely different reasons.

Ooh, ooh!

*raises hand*

I've been to Coronado!

That is all.

Except I think my MTB may need the bottom bracket serviced or possibly replaced. It's a 1993 bike and I've replaced almost every part except the frame, fork, seatpost, and cranks, but neither I nor a LBS has messed with the BB since I've owned it. It's making a "swishing" noise as I pedal, like how a clothes washer goes swish, swish, swish when it's full of water and clothes as the agitator is turning back and forth during the "wash" cycle. I didn't really think much of it until I rode the road bike to work on Thursday and realized it is DEAD SILENT at all times while pedaling and shifting. Back on the MTB on Friday, it seemed the noise from the BB was deafening, by comparison.

If only there was someone I could ask about my bottom br

acket.

It's probably shot. Take it to the shop. Bottom brackets can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing.

Yeah, I figured I need to. Fortunately the shop that overhauled the Allez is within walking distance to my office. I'll call them and make an appointment and can hopefully get it done in one day in a car-free manner, without having to strap that awful bike rack to the back of my car. I watched some YouTube videos about BBs today and it sounds like mine is just starting to go, compared to some. It doesn't click or clank or make scraping noises yet, so I could probably keep riding it as is for a while, but with winter approaching, I'd like to get this bike "right", which it certainly is in every other way. I'm going to try to ride much farther into winter than I have before, just because I enjoy it so much, and also because of Rule #9.

Pictures and commentary of today's ride are below.

Spoiler:

My son practically dragged me out of the house this morning for a bike ride, despite my best attempts to remain a hermit in the basement and watch the latest episode of Star Trek Continues, which came out this morning. I tried to explain to him that we should ride UPHILL from our house, so we would have a fast and easy return once exhausted, but he's into instant gratification and would have none of it. I try to choose my battles wisely and let him lead the way.

We rode down to a spot we've been before, but this time we stopped and we...okay, I...read the historical markers. The signs you see below describe this low-lying area - well, of course, that's relative, as we're still a few hundred feet above the city of Denver - which has a stream running through and a couple of ponds made by little dams. The structure my bike is leaning against is a windmill, which I think is more decorative than functional.

According to the signs, this area was established by a family as a homestead in 1877, and the signs show old-time photos of how this field used to look with houses and barns all around. Apparently they had dairy cattle here and produced cheese, among other things, therefore making this a "cheese ranch", which is a term I never heard while living back east - even while living in rural Vermont close enough to farms to hear cows moo and to find cow skulls as a boy about my son's age while walking in the woods.

Nowadays this is just open space between densely packed, sprawling suburban neighborhoods. There's also a public vegetable garden down here where anyone can plant and tend whatever they like. It's a neat place I seldom ride to, because there's really nothing here except what you see, and joggers, dog-walkers, and so forth.

There is a lot of cool stuff down in this area, especially if you like cottonwood trees, which are about the only trees native to the this area. There are a bunch of single track trails and paved sidewalks around, but when alone I prefer to get out in the open at higher altitudes as shown in the final picture below.

On the way home, we stopped at a store and my son got busy locking up our bikes with the flimsy Word Lock he and his sister use at school. I think this is probably the worst locking job in the history of bike locking, as the bikes are locked to each other but not at all to the rack, but I figured I had corrected him enough with "stay close" and "hurry now" and "stop at the sign up ahead" and "ride on the right, where cars drive" as we rode though plenty of multi-lane suburbia, which he needs to learn. I knew we wouldn't be long and hoped a bike thief wouldn't toss them both, still connected, into the back of a pickup truck while we were inside. Obviously that didn't happen or I'd be telling a different tale right now.

He's a great guy, if not quite street-smart enough, just yet:

Finally, this is where I rode last Friday morning when I had a day off. Lovely, and better than hanging around where there's no view, as we did today.

Road Race World Championships ...

Spoiler:
    Congratulations Peter Sagan!