Page 386 of 521 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Wow. 22% for 67m every hour or so? You didn't wear your lumberjack shirt, did you? Buttered scones for tea, at some point?

This was fewer laps than the first one, with each lap much longer, right?

I like the way you did it on October 1st so you zoom near to the top of the climbing challenge. But now you're down to 20th. How did 1st place do 63,000m in 2 rides?

Oh, a glitch.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/731812542

George(and Josh): The cows I see are not so hairy.

And does anybody know what setup DrMekon uses when doing that Watopia stuff?
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 3rd, 2016 at 08:42 AM.

Started in my Cookie Monster outfit, finished as a Lumberjack.

And that 22% for 67m is just the maximum gradient of a 400m section at 15%. Needless to say I took it very, very conservatively up there every single lap - around 6kmh by the looks of it. The last 600m is above 10% too, which is basically just kicks you while you're down.

In fact, here's the profile ...

As you can see it's the worst of both worlds; very long climb with very steep sections.

Oh yeah ...

World Championships ...

Spoiler:
    Looks like the Rainbow Jersey is coming to Adelaide next year Sagan isn't on a world tour team though in 2017 is he

Administrator
    First ride today since Michele went in for surgery back on the 7th. Was nice to get out there, but felt bad that she couldn't join me. We're hoping in a few weeks she'll be able to - she's already able to get up and down the stairs by herself and get around the house without crutches.

Related to the spinal problems dating to childhood as you'd mentioned before, I assume? Many people without such a problem would not undertake the cycling she does.

Spoiler:

So it was chillyish Saturday morning, with chores for the afternoon and rain predicted for Sunday. Once I determined I needed reasonably full cool-weather gear, with long fingers and ear warmers I decided to leave as early as possible. I decided it was a day suitable for 8 8.5x11" sheets of my 1980's vintage fan-fold printer paper. I keep the paper in pairs, which helps in manipulating it. Oh, and of course, my heavy tights. Fairly thick and with fleecy lining. Made by LG. Perhaps they use old short-circuited LI-Ion batteries to make the lining?

And wore my running jacket, which has extra pockets to take warmer-weather gloves and later put the other gloves and ear warmers and things. I took a precautionary stop in West Montrose on the trip north, and there was heavy dew on the ground, of the type which might have been frost a little earlier.

The horse was out in the field at Eighth Line, so I stopped to take a picture and of course the phone I first tried acted up. It's not a great picture, but it illustrates how modern technology can make something visible out of something which should really just be a blur of overexposure. The glare captures the morning feel nicely, I think. But the horse was very disappointed that I was not George. It was George who he really wanted to meet. (Er, probably she, I guess).

MiddlebrookHorse-1.jpg MiddlebrookOops-1.jpg

Comparing with record and normal segment times, the stop cost me at most 20 minutes, But between various factors, including a longish break, and the cold and clothing, I ended up about 15 minutes slower in riding time than my previous pace for the ride. And a break on the way up cost me time of course.

The trouble was when I got to Elora the steep hill down into the tourist trap area was closed for construction, and it made continuing to Fergus a more natural continuation than turning around there. Went across the narrowish two-lane bridge in the middle of Elora, and realized that the lane coming towards me had lots of automobile traffic, and there might be traffic coming behind me. So I moved left a bit until I had crossed and could move into a convenient lay-by of sorts before a short climb to the roundabout.

I switched to normal gloves and removed the ear warmers the second time through West Montrose, and didn't really begin feeling over-dressed until I was just getting into town. Though after I started undressing, I realized I was quite soaked.

Oh well, even with delays, my wife had only just got up when I got home and so, while the day's plans were decidedly late, they were workable and she was glad I'd got some good exercise.
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 24th, 2016 at 11:54 AM.

Administrator
    Actually, no, unrelated to that. She tore the labrum in her left hip, about 5cm of it was just gone so her femur was grinding into her pelvis, so it had to be surgically replaced. And speaking of, she just went in for her post-op appointment and while not bad news, definitely didn't get what she wanted to hear. Another 5 weeks of wearing a hip brace every time she goes out and using crutches to walk, and no biking for three months.

Bummer.

Some of the comments on the Zwift rides by the occasional poster to this thread, but more frequent GTX strava cyclist, suggest he is recovering from something very serious. And that that is the reason he is using Zwift. And not, say, riding his real-life pedal-powered utility tricycle.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/gtxforums

A little careful browsing of the club recent results (recent results only go back to Sep 22 today) confirmed he was knocked off his bicycle shortly before Sept 27, 2016. On Sept 27 he appeared to begin Zwifting.

For those concerned, a web search for the name and twitter should find a public twitter record which includes descriptions of the incident.

Do no look that up immediately before going to bed, however. When I looked, it contained at least one photograph which was very disturbing.
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 18th, 2016 at 07:03 AM.

Motorists drive closer to cyclists on cycle lanes

https://www.leeds.ac.uk/news/article...on_cycle_lanes

Confirms what I seem to observe. (The link is old, it is true).

They recently added a foot wide or so hash strip to the outside of one fairly recently created set around here. (Yes it was added to the outside).
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 18th, 2016 at 11:03 AM.