Page 408 of 523 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418458508 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Race cancelled

Administrator
    Sad for everyone, gutted for Mike and his loved ones.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Awful.
    acket.

I bought dis.

Well not that one, but the same thing. $50, how the hell could I go wrong? It's in great shape other than dry-rotted tires. Removed the shitty basket on the back and 1990s bar ends and I'm good to go.

Now to catch up after being out of the hobby for 20 years. Surely it's all the same...

Any suggestions on converted to cyclo-cross?

I saw the news about Mike Hall earlier and was kind of speechless, especially because I had some thoughts about the race being cancelled, but I'll keep those to myself. Very sad news either way. I thought about him yesterday on the road with cars whizzing by me at 50 mph or more.

On to happier things:

tigeraid, I like that bike! I have a '90s rigid mountain bike similar to that and have found it to be a great do-everything bike, from mountain biking to gravel riding to to loaded commuting and grocery-getting with front and rear racks and street tires. $50 is a great deal! Congratulations.

As for me, I'm reaching for my road bike more than the MTB these days, but part of that is the weather this time of year. We had rain Friday and snow Saturday, so I figured the trails would be soupy on Sunday (yesterday). I also still haven't rebuilt my rear hub on the MTB, so I know I shouldn't be out making it any worse.

Haven't posted ride pics in a while, so here are a couple...

Spoiler:

This road in the center of the background below was a fun decent. I had a few similar climbs yesterday as well.

Can't see it? Here, I'll zoom in for ya...

I confess that I'm not nearly as confident going as fast as possible down hills like that and I grabbed the brakes more than once. I think I'd ride my MTB as fast as it would go down that hill, but the road bike feels as if the slightest pebble in my path would send me flying. It's my inexperience on road bikes, I guess.

And, around a month or so ago: Should I continue on this trail? Yeah, why not? The ground doesn't look that wet.

Later, at home, with mud in my mouth and on my face and in the vents of my helmet and caked on my brakes so hard that I almost needed a chisel to get it off. Still, the brakes never quit working during the ride. This same thing happened to me last February as well. You'd think I'd learn, but noooo...

Welcome to the club, tigeraid.

I must say, I'm enjoying my trail options lately, especially for the ride home on a Friday

The other good thing about having two bikes is that when one of them has a flat in the morning you can just take the other one and deal with the flat when you get home

Epic scenery George! Did you convert that bike to cyclo, or did you just put mud tires on a road bike?

For now I'm just gonna get semi-slick tires since I'll be riding 90% asphalt. And it's got stupid grip shifts, suppose I'll have to convert those at some point. But I dunno if I wanna put money into converting to drop bars.

It's surprisingly light.
    Last edited by tigeraid; April 4th, 2017 at 10:36 AM.

Administrator
    Just as a warning - a lot of times converting between flat and drop bars doesn't work all that well. Bikes designed to work with flat bars usually have longer top tubes to them, since the bars don't extend forward like drop bars do. Also, it looks like that bike has V-brakes which generally don't work with brifter style brake levers without some sort of adapter, which I've heard can be problematic. You could probably swap the brakes out for cantilevers though, as those should be able to work with the same bosses.

Tektro do make some linear pull drop bar brake levers, but as far as I know none of them also function as shifters, so you'd probably need to setup something with bar-end shifters (I don't see any bosses on the frame for downtube shifters).

Quote Originally Posted by G'day Mate View Post
    I must say, I'm enjoying my trail options lately, especially for the ride home on a Friday
    I'd be interested in how the 'cross bike is on the trails, and in how you like disc brakes (assuming they're your first....certainly may not be) and how much maintenance and adjustment they require.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid
    Did you convert that bike to cyclo, or did you just put mud tires on a road bike?
    I suspect a road bike with clearance for off-road tires is where I'm ultimately heading, but my black & red bike is a MTB like yours with drop bars, different brake levers, and bar-end shifters. That stuff is expensive but the straight bar became annoying for lack of different hand positions and in headwinds, and I wanted to replace all the crusty old cables and housings anyway, so I figured why not go all-out and learn a little about bikes along the way.

Besides, I figure I'm in this for the long haul, and the bars, levers and shifters I bought could all go on my next "build". Even though I've spent a few hundred bucks on that bike, it's a nice ride and still way cheaper than anything new that's worth buying. I don't think it's a lifetime keeper, but I've had a great time on that bike. I've owned it since 2013 and have replaced just about everything on it, except frame, fork, seatpost, derailluers, and two of three chainrings. I readily admit most of that was for fun rather than necessity, and wrenching on bikes is WAY cheaper than doing anything to a car, so it seems cheap in its own way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo
    Tektro do make some linear pull drop bar brake levers, but as far as I know none of them also function as shifters, so you'd probably need to setup something with bar-end shifters
    Agreed. I researched that while pondering cantilevers vs. V-brakes when I discovered my cantilevers had some 20+ year-old plastic bits inside that had crumbled away over the years, preventing proper re-installation once I had removed them for cleaning and lubricating the posts.

a lot of times converting between flat and drop bars doesn't work all that well. Bikes designed to work with flat bars usually have longer top tubes to them, since the bars don't extend forward like drop bars do
    Yep, which is why you usually need a high and short stem (short meaning with a short reach forward) when switching from flat bars to drops to prevent being stretched out too far when reaching for the handlebars.

Here's where I learned all about this stuff:

Show Your Vintage MTB Drop Bar Conversions...5500+ posts!

The Single Consolidated Official Drop Bar Thread...this thread "only" has 600+ posts.

Happy reading.