Page 435 of 523 FirstFirst ... 335385425433434435436437445485 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,350 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

And now, the dramatic conclusion to the popular ongoing series: Project Lunch Bike

I'm lucky enough to have a large room as an office, and the bike is parked against a seldom-used filing cabinet in between two unoccupied desks. I have an exterior door as well, so I can get out the door with the bike without having to walk the bike through the office or otherwise call attention to myself. Nobody cares anyway, but I like to be discreet and not Mr. High Maintenance for those I work with.

I donated the knobbies this bike came with to the co-op and installed the 26" x 1.75" commuter tires I bought a couple years back. I installed a Greenfield kickstand (one of the good ones you cut to size with a hacksaw) as well. I figured that would be handy to have on an office/city bike.

IMG_1832.jpg

I bought a bright red rack at the co-op, but it was too "loud" for this dark green bike, so I'm going to use it on my mountain bike at home that already has some red on it. I moved my existing rack and a rack bag from my mountain bike at home to this one. It's useful to hold my locks, lunch if I go get something to go from a restaurant, audiobooks from the nearby library, and so forth.

IMG_1838.jpg

I secured the bag to the rack with a zip-tie, which I figure will at least require would-be thieves to have a knife or scissors to take it. I also made a cheap and crude saddle leash from a dollar's worth of parts from a hardware store. I should replace the quick-release on the seatpost and the front wheel with nuts and bolts, but just haven't gotten around to that, and maybe never will. This bike isn't left unattended for long.

IMG_1837.jpg

With a floor pump under my desk and chain lube, a spare tube, and a some tools, patch kit, etc. in a desk drawer, I'm all set.

This concludes our fabulous documentary.

Ken Burns, look out! I'm coming for your job.
    Last edited by George; August 9th, 2017 at 08:17 AM.

Replacing a QR wheel requires replacing at least the axle. You almost might as well look for a new wheel. Conceivably someone could make a non-QR QR skewer replacement. Or perhaps not. What needs to tighten against what is actually very different.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ase-wheel-lock

Oh yes. I had theives pull my non-QR seat out of the frame once. Typically you wouldn't need to undo the bolt if you've got a lot of time and strength. I really don't know whether they undid the bolt or not.

Sorry I neglected to post about it here at the time. It was in about 1982. I also neglected to strava my regular commutes at that time.

http://thebestbikelock.com/wheel-locks-and-seat-locks/

They actually sell locking non-QR bicycle wheel bolts...

And I think, if I correctly understand some of the products listed there, an approach to non-QR QR is to turn the lever into a specialized removable device, i.e. sort of a key.
    Last edited by SportWagon; August 9th, 2017 at 08:41 AM.

Hey, those kickstarter QR locks are very cool! If I had a "serious" bike to protect, I might look into those. As it is, I'm not too worried, and I'm trying not to sink more money into it. The accessories I bought (floor pump, locks, etc.) cost more than I paid for the bike!

If it does get swiped, I might replace it with something like this, but maybe a used version from craigslist.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/sst_steel.htm

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon
    It was in about 1982. I also neglected to strava my regular commutes at that time.
    I wonder what strava like then? Did riders send in punch-cards with map coordinates for compilation on a mainframe computer?

Or perhaps Polaroid pictures were mailed in of wall maps with thumbtacks indicating the route and distance?

Routes sketched on a cocktail napkin in a smoky bar while quaffing après-ride refreshments?

So many possibilities...

Huret Multitito was the standard for years.
    Cateye Mate. I still have the one we used later on our tandem. Somewhere.
    Vetta HR2000 was the zenith of bicycle computers. I put one on the back of the tandem hoping my wife could monitor her HR, but she didn't like the strap, so she ended up monitoring my HR instead.

In between were a couple of wired Cateye computers with cadence. But a wired cadence pickup was more trouble than it was worth.

Finding a good source of official topo maps was wonderful. I remember helping my friend trace them (with intentional distortion, for copyright reasons) to produce route maps to be mimeographed for a ride (past the ditto age mmmmm....)

Last edited by SportWagon; August 9th, 2017 at 01:50 PM.

This is probably blocked by region, but if not, check out the Indian Pacific Wheel Race documentary: https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/vide...fic-wheel-race

It works for me in Colorado. I plan to watch it later. Thanks for posting.

Another drawn-out posting for mostly George

So Vitamin D seemed to help counter the fatigue which made it difficult for me to get out in the morning.

But I was still very weak last Sunday morning.

I passed a horse and buggy just before the little girder bridge going into the back of Conestogo. As I climbed slowly up the short steep hill there, I heard him behind me...

The Mennonite came closer---
    Closer-- closer---
    The Mennonite came closer, up to the old inn-door.
    I'm not sure if he was catching me or not, although he didn't actually catch me. You need to let the horse go very slowly up that hill.

Spoiler:
    Going smoothly up, I still observed my heart rate creep higher than I've seen in a while--getting very close to 160. So, at the top I felt the need to rest, leaning triathlon style on the top my traditional dropped bars. I moved the rear wheel up onto the recently poured gutter; the final layer of asphalt hasn't been laid yet to make the road level with the gutter.

The horse and buggy passed easily enough on my left side, and made the right turn.

As I was going up Katherine Street one fast male cyclist whizzed by, giving a pleasant greeting. And a little while later a couple went by and gave a similar greeting. I think I'd seen them before once; he rides at a vigorous pace, with her drafting right behind. As I got near the turn-off to West Montrose, all three were in sight. The lone rider continued north, while the couple started down the hill to West Montrose and its covered bridge, where I soon followed.

When I got to the covered bridge, the couple were in the parking lot past its entrance, looking up at it slightly apprehensively. Indeed, as I got closer I could see a small convoy of buggies coming through it. So I pulled back and to the side a bit, and while the horses passed fairly close by me, it seemed safe and easy for the buggies to pass too.

Thinking about it, however, I realized a horse, while it will probably avoid you personally, probably can't tell whether or not the front or rear wheels it is towing are in danger of hitting you. I will try to assess the situation critically in those terms if I end up in it again.

After the batch of three, I moved closer and could see the next batch was a fair way from the entrance on the other side. I set off into the bridge; I had a front light, after all. And I got to the other side before they came close to the entrance. There were several other buggies coming down towards the bridge, as well as several going along the highway at the next stop sign.

Just before I got to that stop sign, a motorcycle passed by me. I recalled seeing him go down towards the bridge just a couple of minutes before. From the back, I could now tell he was actually a police man. Eventually he and I went through the intersection at about the same time, in a break in the traffic. I continued straight, while he turned left.

I expected to be passed by the couple on the way up Middlebrook Road towards Elora, but I guess they didn't go that way after all.

I paced myself evenly but slowly up the incline before Elora, and the surprise hump at the top wasn't too difficult to handle. I didn't feel like visiting while in Elora so passed by Donnie's house, noting that there was only one vehicle outside and not observing anyone in the garden. It took me almost a full two hours to get to Elora.

An odd thing about getting older and slower is that even easy parts are slower. Not much time or speed was made up on the return trip. Morning was getting later now, so I saw several medium-sized groups of bicycles going up in the other direction.

When I got to the black car Mennonite Meeting Hall the parking lot was full, so my timing had been good to dodge that traffic.

I had held off snacks until the second time through West Montrose, so I could use the porta-potty during the same stop. Another old man observed the potty occupied while I was in it, and so when I came out we agreed "Great old minds think alike, with good reason".

So I was making it home now. Up out of the Grand Valley to Katherine Street.

Conestogo is very quiet these days because its major intersection is closed in all directions. Back over the little girder bridge, and then deliberation up the S-bend up the hill.

When I got to the stop-sign at the remnants of Country Squire Road, I contemplated not taking my usual trip to the roundabout, since I clearly didn't need any extra distance.

"But I feel bad cutting distance off my usual route", I told myself. (True, two weeks ago I had turned around very early on the same route to change 66km into 40km, but that had felt like major prudence).

"Tell you what", I said to myself, "If you go to the roundabout, then I will let you cut through the suburban neighbourhood on the way home, and avoid the old Kaufman Flats hill". And so I agreed to that plan. Somehow the residential streets completely avoid all the downhill then uphill transitions of the route going around the perimeter of the block.

When I got close to home, I did no extra neighbourhood loop before finishing. That's of more importance for the 40km routes which sometimes end up just under 40km otherwise, anyway.

I felt somewhat tired, but not completely drowsy. And managed to take about a 45 minute nap before we went out to http://www.countryboyrestaurant.ca/
    Last edited by SportWagon; August 16th, 2017 at 09:47 AM.

Oh man, I would be twenty pounds heavier if I lived near the Country Boy Restaurant.

So I've signed up for a 24hr race ...

Wow, good luck.