Page 458 of 521 FirstFirst ... 358408448456457458459460468508 ... LastLast
Results 4,571 to 4,580 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Hey, George, Jeopardy tells me "What's the state flag of Coolerado, Alex?".

But as I search the web I can't find a blazon (formal heraldic description) for it.

It's pretty unimaginative, as I recall from hearing our kids talk about what they learned in school. I remember something about blue is for the sky (yawn), yellow is for the gold up in them thar hills, red is for the rocks, and white is for, oh, I forget. Maybe the white people who invaded the area; stole the land; and killed, enslaved, or ran off the indigenous peoples? I'm not entirely serious there, but I do see a lot of stuff from the school along those lines.

More here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Colorado

I figured it was as good a Strava avatar as any. I tried the ape-man I use here but got strangely cropped by that website and didn't look the same.

Who has some cycling stories? Not me, lately. All I have are good intentions and busy weekends.

White is usually considered in heraldry to be argent (silver).

Sorry, it appears that heraldic descriptions (the original meaning of "blazon") are not generally created for U.S. state flags.

And blazons for flags in general do not seem to be as descriptive (or prescriptive), or as common, as those for coats-of-arms.

The blue there might count as azure.

And the red possibly gules.

The yellow possibly or (gold!).

But really, I don't know much about vexillology

Well, here's an attempt, which, in addition to style problems, may actually be technically wrong in some details; I am going just by eye.

A horizontal triband of top and bottom azure and centre argent, with a near-central circle or surrounded by a stylized Roman letter "C", purely circular, sans serif, gules. The "C" is of diameter so as to occupy half the top and bottom bands azure. The diameter of the circle or is half that of the outer diameter of the "C", and the thickness of the "C" occupies space so as to leave no gap around the circle or, save at the aperture of the "C". The circle or, therefore, occupies the open counter of the letter "C". The circle or is positioned so it would be tangential to a vertical line drawn at the midpoint of the flag.

Notes:
    • In the image you show, the central band appears to be very slightly larger than the other two.
    • And the circle appears to have the same diameter as the central band (argent)
    • The thickness of the "C" does indeed appear to be half that diameter. So it ends up slightly higher and lower proportionately.
    • My estimate of the position of the circle seems a little too far left. (but not by much) (circle and "C" are definitely not in the horizontal centre of the flag).
    • In your 800px wide flag, the 180px circle starts at about 248px and is followed by about 372px

Oh!
    https://blog.mischel.com/2016/05/21/...pecifications/

Specifications actually position the C. Funny thing. They say "width" of the flag to refer to what I would think of as its horizontal height.

"The flag shall consist of three alternate stripes to be of equal width and at right angles to the staff, the proportion of the flag being a width of two-thirds of its length. At a distance from the staff end of the flag of one-fifth of the total length of the flag there shall be a circular red C. The diameter of the letter shall be two-thirds of the width of the flag. The inner line of the opening of the letter C shall be three-fourths of the width of its body or bar, and the outer line of the opening shall be double the length of the inner line thereof. Completely filling the open space inside the letter C shall be a golden disk." (On March 31, 1964, the legislature further dictated the diameter of the gold disc to be equal to the center stripe.)
    Searching at Google for the literal string "total length of the flag there shall be a circular red C", I also found...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=o0F...20C%22&f=false

https://law.justia.com/codes/colorad...tion-24-80-904

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/forum/t...mystery.11070/

Reading, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_(heraldry) suggests my following
    A horizontal triband of top and bottom azure and centre argent,
    can be more simply "Azure, bar argent,".
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 18th, 2018 at 10:40 AM.

Oh, my!

http://digg.com/video/monkey-rides-bike

Sorry, can't figure out how to post the video here. Right-clicking to copy the video URL isn't working as it usually does. My browser at work is really acting strangely lately.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Sorry, can't figure out how to post the video here. Right-clicking to copy the video URL isn't working as it usually does. My browser at work is really acting strangely lately.
    It's not you, they're using a video player specifically designed to make it hard to direct link to the video so they can control both monetization and analytics. We investigated using it at a magazine I worked at.

7 months since my 24 hour race and I still don't have all the feeling back in my right ring and pinkie fingers, but it's pretty close now.

I'm finally looking into getting a new saddle. The stock one on my Fuji isn't any good, and I've been having some discomfort. I went to Performance Bike, since it was a Sunday and all the normal LBS's were closed. I thought they had one of those fitting things, but they didn't. So I just bought two that looked like they'd work, and will return one (or both).

One of them feels much better on the middle/front bits. It's got a cut out and stubby nose, but not a lot of padding. (Forte Air Endure)

The other one has a bit more padding, a cut out and a longer nose, but it kind points down. It feels better on the butt, but not as good on the rest. It oddly has a seem around the outer edge of the pretty wide nose that rubs on my thighs. (Selle SMP Extra)

If I could combine them, it'd be perfect.

Went out and rode around 8 miles with the first one, then the exact same route with the second one. Preferred the first, but am going to do the same thing again today or tomorrow, starting with the second one first, to kind of even it out. Wish I had time to take a longer ride at this week to really test them.
    Last edited by Freude am Fahren; August 14th, 2018 at 06:48 AM.

I spotted yesterday at Denver International Airport:

Administrator
    Meh, broke a spoke on the way in to work this morning. Not looking forward to the train/walk the bike commute home.

I guess this will force me to get around to repairing the Surly, though.