Page 459 of 523 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461469509 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 5226

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

You can still limp it home missing a spoke. *shrug*

Administrator
    I'd normally feel not super worried about that, but the rear wheel on the Madone is pretty low spoke count. I could feel the wheel squirming under me on the way in to work after it broke, definitely didn't feel pleasant to ride.

A guy I know here (cycling buddy) is selling one of his bikes:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183407667809

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    "one of", leads me to assume that's not his most valued possession.
    acket.

I think he has another one of similar era and value. The rest of his bikes are more proletarian.

Administrator
    That is a beauty. A beauty that's out of my price range.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Wow, incredible that it's CrMo tubing. Steel shaped like carbon fiber of 15 years later.
    acket.

Yes, that is sort of unusual fairing work at the joints. Looks lugless too, which would be unusual for 1976. Oh because it's 1986, duh! Just a few years prior to brifters. The drivetrain has a 70's look to it, but the brakes lack the simplistic elegance of the previous decade. Odd that it has toeclips, really. Riders had started switching to clipless a couple of years earlier. (Look, 1984, web searches suggest).

It's too tall but too compact (fore-and-aft) for me, though, I think.

Finally found a saddle I like (so far). Specialized Power Arc.

The LBS I bought it from did a free fitting with me on the bike, and he did notice it looked like I had a long reach, which I kinda thought I had already. I find myself putting my hand back where the bar bends forward, rather than up by the hoods a lot.

So I got a 100mm stem to replace the stock 120mm (despite the model named 313, it is not 13cm, oops).

Anyway while installing it, I noticed it needed a spacer. This despite it being the same size as the old one measure via calipers. Very strange. Anyway, time to go test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    I find myself putting my hand back where the bar bends forward, rather than up by the hoods a lot.
    I have the same situation on my road bike. I can hold onto the hoods for a long time, but I tend to push back and rest my palms on the bends when I'm not paying attention to where my hands are. I've thought of installing a shorter stem the next time I need to install new cables and housing and so forth, but I keep thinking I need to make that bike an offering to the craigslist gods and see what follows me home next...like one of these newer wide-tire road bikes. Of course, I've been thinking that for about four years now...

In other news, I continue to learn new things in life. One of those is to Just Say No sometimes.

A neighbor asked if I could fix their kid's bike this weekend. After a quick glance and cringing at the sight of a full-suspension Wal-Mart bike (at best) that doesn't even have quick-releases on the wheels, figured I could replace the rear V-brake pads, which it desperately needed, and slap on a new chain too, since I had a 7-speed chain in inventory in my garage for our fleet of 7-speed bikes. Surprisingly, the disc brake on the front seems to work fine, so I left it alone.

Hmm. But what's this? The rear derailleur isn't shifting. The cable is old and rusty and seemed to be jammed inside the housing. Okay, I'll just install a new rear derailleur cable, which I also had "in stock". Nothing fancy here - no new housings cut to match with special order colors and contrasting-color anodized cable tips - just run a new shifter cable through the old housing, clamp it down, and quickly check the derailleur adjustment screws, right?

Bah! I think I felt something flimsy and plastic snap inside crappy old shifter when I pressed one of the triggers. The yellowed plastic on the shifter indicators make the bike look as if it has sat out in the sun since Gerald Ford was president. I dunno - maybe it was just creaks and groans from an old, un-lubricated, plastic mechanism, but I feel like I've violated the scared code of "if you can't make it better, don't make it worse!"

A quick picture of the sad sack department-store bike and the old chain in a corner of my garage last night after giving up for the evening.

Last edited by George; September 10th, 2018 at 02:28 PM.