Page 469 of 523 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 5223

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Recent documentary about bicycling in Charleston, SC: https://vimeopro.com/lunchandrecess/backpedal

I especially like the behind the scenes video where the film maker is arguing the law with a driver.

I enjoyed those videos, having lived in Charleston for four years. It's an old city (well, by North American standards - founded 1670) and has very narrow streets. Downtown Charleston - the old part - is best enjoyed on foot, in my opinion.

April Fools Day mischief or a legitimate new product from Velo Orange? (I'm on their e-mailing list)

Introducing the New XXXXXXXXL Handlebar Bag

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I enjoyed those videos, having lived in Charleston for four years. It's an old city (well, by North American standards - founded 1670) and has very narrow streets. Downtown Charleston - the old part - is best enjoyed on foot, in my opinion.
    I haven't been there, but that description reminds me of the north end of Boston. Tiny streets, way better on foot.

I'm a day late, but hopefully you guys will enjoy this:

GPS Scrambler Devices Cause Strava Tracking Chaos

Administrator
    Certainly not unheard of, but pretty sure I had a bottle thrown at me for the first time yesterday on the way home. Was on a major thoroughfare (3 lanes each way) with a bike lane and probably doing around 20mph (it's slightly downhill and if you're fast, you usually make the light at the major intersection up ahead). See something out of the corner of my eye coming in from my left, feel something heavy hit the outside of my foot, then hear shattering glass behind me. I didn't see who threw it and am not 100% certain that's what happened, but I can't think of any other reasonable explanation. I was going fast enough that I didn't feel super comfortable looking behind me to get a better idea of what's going on.

While I'm definitely not thrilled some drunk asshole is driving during rush hour and throwing bottles at people, I am relieved that he throws about as well as you think he would.

Still, kinda surprising, this isn't *that* contentious of an area. Bike lanes have been there for years and were installed as part of a massive widening/re-engineering project that added a lane in each direction, so it's not like people feel like a lane got taken away from them. The only thing I can think that would upset someone is that it's very common for people to try to use the bike lane/right-turn-only lanes to go straight at intersections and try to cut off the rest of traffic to gain an "advantage", and if someone felt like I ruined his chance to beat the system by being in the bike lane when he wanted to use it, I guess that might make him upset.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; April 4th, 2019 at 07:48 AM.

I had a plastic banana thrown at me once. Reasonably early on a weekend morning, if I recall correctly.

Interesting bicycle on craigslist today, featuring a 52-inch frame!

Penny Farthing High Wheel - $1250

Administrator
    That looks beyond terrifying, but I do like the size of the quick release cam