Page 470 of 521 FirstFirst ... 370420460468469470471472480520 ... LastLast
Results 4,691 to 4,700 of 5203

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    That looks beyond terrifying, but I do like the size of the quick release cam
    Yeah, how do you brake?
    acket.

I mean, stable because physics, but, how the hell do you make it stop?
    acket.

Thoughts and prayers?

Administrator
    I think I actually do see a caliper brake up at the top of the front wheel. Presumably it's also "fixed gear" for lack of a better term, but that doesn't help much when you've taken your feet off the pedals like that guy.

Somewhere a while back I read that penny-farthing racers would put their legs OVER the bars when going downhill so they might land on their feet instead of their faces in a wreck.

I think I actually do see a caliper brake up at the top of the front wheel.
    I think you're right, in the second picture. I don't think that is the same bike as the one for sale. The handlebars are different, for one thing, and the scenery with the guy screaming in terror or laughing manically doesn't look like Colorado. I also think I've seen that picture before on the web.

I'd want to have a full-face helmet before getting on one of those things.

Signed,

The guy who fell off a skateboard 1.5 seconds after getting on one the other day

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I think you're right, in the second picture. I don't think that is the same bike as the one for sale. The handlebars are different, for one thing
    I see a negative degree stem in the racing one and no saddle bag. Rider's obviously going for MAXIMUM aerodynamics!
    acket.

Speaking of aerodynamics, drop bars on a PF would be AWESOME VALUE!

Then there's this...

It's time to get out the moustache wax and dust off your best riding monocle...

The very idea of rear suspension in a PF is stupid.

There's like 7 unnecessary pivot points on that concept.
    acket.

Preach on, brother luddite!

Apparently there were some lever-activated spoon brakes in days gone by...

This, apparently, is real:

Edited to add: and has an internal gear hub!

https://www.unicycle.uk.com/blog/sch...enny-farthing/

Last edited by George; April 5th, 2019 at 04:46 PM.

My reach-out goal was to sneak out and go for a bicycle ride at maybe 7 to 8am last Sunday morning. But my definite goal was to do a dry-run of a going for a bicycle ride; finding all my clothing, seeing whether it had shrunk excessively over the winter (actually since last June), etc.

Well the dry-run got stifled at the "pump my tires up to 110-120psi" stage.
    Spoiler:
    Usually I do that first the night before. And no, I could not get the head on my floor pump to stay on after about 60psi. I tried a couple of alternatives, but decided I would get up in the middle of night to do further work.

But in the middle of the night/early-morning I met with no success either.

I switched the gasket thing with another identical model which had had an unfortunate break when I forgot to cross my thumbs. It seemed slighly better, but not significantly so. I had pumped up a few times through the fall. That corner of the basement gets pretty cool, so perhaps that finally wore out the sealing properties of the gasket.

Other pumps broken in various ways would not work themselves, and the gaskets, while almost identical in design, and in one case it seemed diameter, are not compatible between different makes.

One frame pump seemed like it would work, but would take a long time, and I didn't seem to have a gauge which would both register accurately and not let out a lot of air when used (I had been going by the gauge on my floor pump for several years). My trusty old 1980's Zefal HP seems to have acquired some internal problem which makes it very heavy to pump, although it did seem to be working (but see gauge problem). Usually it would be just tiresome, but had such a small body that it wasn't difficult to pump. But even when pumping without it attached to anything, there was a lot of resistance.

Often with a frame pump you get to just about 70psi so you can ride home. I actually never tried my active Silca, because I didn't want to waste its gasket life. And I had no working gauge, either.

So I was glad I'd set only a dry run as my target.

It was Sunday now, and my wife got up a little earlier than she'd said, and we'd done groceries the night before, so I got most of the afternoon alone while she went shopping.
    So I went to
    https://www.mec.ca/en/stores/kitchener
    and $172 later came out with stuff that would probably work.

Okay, of that only $79+15%HST was the solution.
    https://www.filzer.com/products/ligh...ro-floor-pump/
    Mine has the "clever head" design.
    Before spending that much, I made sure that spare parts woulld be available.
    You can see them listed at the web page. They are also indicated on the packing card.
    Spoiler:
    The other purchases included $25plustax for neoprene kayaking gloves that I thought would make useful utility work gloves (a bit slow to put on and remove, though...). And a spare hose and head (flip head design), and a spare seal for that flip head. Thinking I could make one of my half-working pumps serviceable again in my copious free time. And, actually I was skeptical of the clever head.

I was so skeptical I stopped in at Canadian Tire on the way home to see if I could get something for around $25to$30 which ought to work more reliably. But the only reasonable one was $39plustax. For $15 you could get a floor pump with no gauge. And it probably had the two position non-repairable head which I don't like. So, since I didn't intend to ride anyway, I thought I could do without a backup plan.
    When I got home, I was really impressed how well the pump worked. The clever head almost seems better than Presta-only designs, since I think it doesn't clamp on the the valve until after you've got it most of the way down, so there is probably less wear on the seal, and/or it has more elastic capacity to endure wear. Once the lever is flipped, it is very secure. Pump! Pump! Pump! And I got to 115 to 120PSI easily, and the pump would have kept going a lot longer. Although the gauge is on the floor, it is more readable (large, with sort of racing speedometer style clarity) than many gauges higher up the body on other pumps, including a Filzer alternative at MEC.
    Last edited by SportWagon; April 8th, 2019 at 08:38 AM.