Page 502 of 523 FirstFirst ... 2402452492500501502503504512 ... LastLast
Results 5,011 to 5,020 of 5226

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    @George you got a Surly?

Cool!
    acket.

Administrator
    Idaho stop law (cyclists can treat stop signs as yields and red lights as stop signs, where cross traffic has right of way) actually passed both houses here in CA, it's going to the governor. I think Newsom would likely sign it, I'm not so sure about anybody who might take his spot if the recall goes through.

Man, we've tried this so many times, and it's probably getting as far as it is because it sounds like AAA took no stand on it this time (they've very much lobbied against such laws in the past, including three-foot passing laws). I really hope it becomes law.

EDIT: Apparently it does not include the "red lights as stop signs" language. Rats. I can think of a few quiet intersections with dodgy induction loops that could use that law.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; September 1st, 2021 at 04:14 PM.

I'm all for the Idaho stop, although there might be places it wouldn't work. Are you allowed to do it on multi-lane roads?

Administrator
    I find it's pretty rare to have multilane roads with stop signs here. That said, if you get there and, this is the key part, nobody else is there that has right of way, you don't have to come to a complete stop.

It's basically the way everyone rides now, you just wouldn't have to keep an extra eye out for the cops. If cross traffic is there and has right of way, you still have to stop (or at least let them go first).

Oh I didn't mean stop-signs, I meant red lights, which apparently you clarified at the same time I was posting my question

Administrator
    Hah, fair. I'm not sure how the law would shake out for red lights, and I'm not sure how Idaho does it now. I'd figure if any driver has to deviate from their speed or line in any way when they have a green light, you're still violating that law. I can think of times/intersections where I'd be happy to cross a multilane road on red, but I also know the fear of being hit by a car doing 45mph makes me pretty cautious about that.

We definitely have big intersections that, especially on weekend mornings, are lightly used and cyclists will do the stop & go at them. I'm in favor of that being legalized, if only because laws like that have a tendency to be enforced against poor folks who rely on bikes as their only form of transportation vs. roadies on carbon bikes, and I don't think the cops are doing it out of concern for the safety of the person on the bike.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; September 1st, 2021 at 05:37 PM.

You know what ... I'm even wronger than that - I'm thinking of left-turns at red lights for cyclist. Completely on the wrong track right now

Administrator
    Hah, and now I'm not sure if you're talking about left-turns where you are or left-turns where I am.

Left turns where I am, so equivalent of your right.

I ran 12kms to work this morning - the first hot day of spring - my brain isn't quite firing on all cylinders yet.

Administrator
    No worries, it's been a long work day and dreary, so my brain is mostly shut down.