Page 509 of 511 FirstFirst ... 9409459499507508509510511 LastLast
Results 5,081 to 5,090 of 5110

Thread: The Lounge of Terrestrial Wheelmen

Well, I had my first official right hook last Sunday.

I was moving along in a bicycle lane separated with just a painted stripe, going more slowly than I usually do at the particular place, tired from the day before and having a slight headwind. A mid-size SUV seems to accelerate a little to get go past me, and then turn abruptly right in front of me, while I was close enough to the intersection to not be able to tell whether they put their signal lights on or not. I slowed slightly, though likely it was not strictly necessary. They seemed to be going a bit too fast to take the corner comfortably. I'd been going somewhere around 20km/hr. The incident surprised me because I assumed their acceleration meant they were going to continue straight.

Today I was going along the same stretch and another SUV passed me, got a reasonably distance ahead of me and signaled and made the same right turn. I imagined them paying close attention. This time I was doing around 30km/hr.

This is the same intersection where a driver once pulled out suddenly in front of me, forcing me to do a hard left and ride briefly beside them while they completed their right turn. Memory of that actually causes me, if there are cars waiting to come out that intersection, to pass through it a little more slowly than I otherwise would. That is, arguably hold law-abiding cars up a fraction of a second longer than I otherwise would.

I saw something today that made me think of a friend who is no longer here with us.

I was driving to work on a three-lane, one-way road. This is in the city with stop lights on almost every block, but if you go the speed limit, you can keep rolling through green lights for a long way. Why they can't they accomplish this feat of 20th century engineering in the suburbs I may never know...

Anyway, I was the last car in the group of cars moving through the "green light bubble" at a constant speed but was behind a truck in the middle lane that I couldn't see around very well. I was also noticing there seemed to be no one in the left lane. I moved into the left lane but quickly caught up to a line of perhaps eight cars that were just crawling along. Very soon, all the other traffic, including the truck that had been blocking my view, passed me. I assumed some guy up ahead was from out of town and trying to read a road map and figure out where he was going to turn left. I've seen that a few times before on this stretch of road.

Back in the middle lane now, I passed the line of cars on my left only to see in front of them all was a middle-aged man pedaling an old mountain bike not very quickly in the middle of the left lane. We all had to stop a few blocks ahead and that's when I saw the guy on the bike, who had caught up to us all, lane-splitting in between me in the middle lane and the left lane cars just in time to enter first place again as the light turned green. Suddenly all those cars that had gotten around him in the last couple of blocks were stuck behind him again. I bet those drivers were inventing new curse words the whole time.

That guy gave not one damn as he continued to leisurely pedal in the middle of the left lane during the morning rush hour. All I can say is I'm glad I don't have to ride in the city. It's a whole different world.

Quote Originally Posted by overpowered
    Take the lane!

Wow.

The UCI Road Champs are in Australia this year. One local hazard that probably wasn't accounted for is that it's magpie breeding season, and those guys don't tend to like cyclists

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...-championships

It's bike fixing time at my house. Wife's bike has a flat tire for the first time since I put on new ones seven or eight years ago after we bought it from a craigslist bike flipper. Had both my daughter's wheels re-trued recently at the LBS and noticed the saddle has kind of a "wobble" in it, as if a rail is cracked, maybe. My son: "Well, I kinda beat on that bike, taking jumps and stuff..." I might have told that story before. And I need to replace the original (I assume) brake pads on the Trek 920 as long as I'm adjusting them for the trued wheels. They don't line up exactly as they did before.

Bought some new tires for her (formerly his) Trek and got 26" x 1.9" with street tread, which look sort of small on the bike. I thought to myself that I'll get wider ones next time I buy 26" tires. Oh, and I noticed that Specialized brand inner tubes with Schrader valves now come with threaded metal stems and a nut just like Presta valve tubes do. Probably doesn't make any difference, but they look nice.

Son came home with a flat rear tire on his GT two days ago. Turned out the tire was kind of rotted where the sidewall met the rim and the tube didn't look any newer. I threw 'em on the town tire fire and bought some 26" x 2.35" knobbies (he wanted knobbies) that are freakin' YUGE! I suspect they're for more modern 26" MTBs with wider rims and disc brakes. We installed new tubes and tires but then had to deflate the tires to squeeze them in between his V-brakes to fit, and then I had trouble getting the tires re-mounted smoothly again so they didn't wobble as we were running out of time last night. I think maybe our '90s rims are too narrow for those tires.

Then it got late and I needed to clean up, so on a whim (and not wanting to leave bikes sitting around with no wheels on them), I took the wheels off the Raleigh and stuck 'em on his bike (both have eight-speed rear wheels) and then put his wheels with the new big 'uns on the Raleigh. Even with cantilever brakes, it was a tight squeeze, and there's not much seatstay clearance, but they fit! That bike looks like a fat-bike now, almost. Like the Arby's ads say, "WE HAVE THE MEATS!"

I have long thought calling tires "shoes" is pretty stupid, but "meats" is perfectly fine.

I haven't adjusted any brakes yet, so both bikes are still "in the shop" until I can get back to them. My 14-year-old can now ride the Raleigh by lowering the seat just a little bit, and he did yesterday before we started swapping wheels and tires. He rode a couple miles to a sandwich shop where he had a job interview recently to see if they'd made a decision, and to buy another sandwich, of course. That kid is built like a broom handle despite eating practically all the time when he's awake. If I didn't know how much he wants to start making money, I'd think he applied and interviewed for that job just to get the free meal they offered in the ad.

Also, I think I've found a drivetrain for the Iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by George
    I'd install 3x7, 8, or 9 depending on what I could find at a reasonable price...or maybe just move his current 3x8 stuff to the new frame and sell or donate his old bike as a frame only. He doesn't have much patience with my preference for old stuff and wanted a 1x11 setup until he learned that 1x12 is the "new standard." Last night he was showing me SRAM 1x12 build kits for the low, low price of $400+ on the internet.
    Check out the Microshift Advent 1x9 group: https://www.microshift.com/products/groups/advent/

I have it all priced out at www.bikeparts.com (which is local to me).

KMC X9 chain - $25.00
    Long cage rear derailleur with clutch - $58.99
    11-46 cassette: $39.99
    "Pro" trigger shifter - $31.99 (apparently the Pro model has a rubber thumb pad. Fancy!)

That adds up to $155.97, but that doesn't include cranks and a bottom bracket. Seems like a good deal for something the internet seems to approve of from what I've read on forums and in watching reviews on YT.

I've never messed with BBs and cranks but I'll figure it out. All the "how to convert to 1x" websites and videos I've seen say "just remove the extra chainring(s) and install a narrow-wide chainring." Okay, great, but how does one know what 1x cranks to buy if you only have a frame? I'll keep reading and learning.

Been trying to ride the stationary bicycle as I have to lose 30lbs.

Been not losing any lbs.

Noticed my endurance was up though, the last time I rode that bike. I normally do a 20 minute high cadence (100rpm) workout and i'm beat by the end of it. Powered through 25 minutes and opted to end the workout the last time I did. I guess the rowing (recently started that) and stairs (50 flights, about 5X a week. And that's up and down because it's i'm going up (and down) the five flights ten times) are translating to leg/ lung/ mental strength.

Muscle is about twice the density of fat. It could be you are gaining muscle, but losing fat. Your weight may not change, but your body could be changing in unforseen ways.

Administrator
    That does seem to happen to everyone I know of that starts in on a new fitness routine. No loss at first, which usually does seem like it's gaining muscle while burning fat.

I got cocky and went out without my spare inner tube/pump/tire levers. Got a flat. Had to walk a mile and a half or so to the closest spot where I could get a Lyft, get home, get the car, come back, and pick up the bike.

Annoyed at myself.

Administrator
    Everyone wants us to move to hydraulic disk brakes and they're so goddamn fiddly. What was wrong with rim brakes?

A rear disk makes sense for descending. That's where I first saw them. In the early 1980's. On tandems. (Or triplets). But hydraulic seems like an unnecessary complication.

I had an incident towards the end of my Sunday morning ride last weekend. I did my neighbourhood finishing loop (originated to up one of my routes to avoid losing in distance to OP). At one point I turn right, and then a very short block later turn left. In early morning with no traffic I will ride straight from the exit of the right into the left turn.

Last Sunday, however, I sensed a car following me. So after I had done the right turn I rode only a bit out from the kerb, with enough room for the car to pass. They did a medium long (unnecessarily long) blast on the horn. So I cautiously put my left arm straight out (it would have been incorrect to signal earlier because I was going to allow them to pass). The car did not pass me, and I made my left turn. And then the car made a right turn into the commercial driveway which is pretty much opposite the road I was turning into.

Of course, I had managed to ride at almost zero speed blocking their way while waiting in case they passed... But I still think the horn blast was inappropriate. A couple of quick beeps would have been sufficient. The horn blast certainly made me angry. I wonder if any studies have been done to determine if road rage could be reduced by changing the way car horns sound.

Several weeks ago I had another incident which, I finally reasoned, was the result of a driving instructor failing to account for the predictable delay before a student driver will respond to instructions.

I was riding up a street near home, and there was a car waiting at their stop sign on my right about halfway up a slight hill. As I got close they started to move slowly, as if edging in for a better view. I yelled something like "Stop!", And they seemed to. As I got closer they moved again. I yelled "Stop!" again and was mentally prepared for hard left turn to parallel them. As I passed it became obvious it was a driver's instruction car, and the instructor leaned out his window and said, firmly but not too loudly or angrily, "You could have waited for her", I was more perplexed than angry by that actually, and didn't respond except perhaps by looking perplexed.

It was probably several days later when I completed the analysis to conclude that the problem was the instructor likely told the driver to go when there was plenty of time to pass in front of me but the student did not take action fast enough. Conceivably, the instruction was given too late for even an experienced driver. (in the weeks since, I've seen several cars at the same intersection, including a police SUV, pull in front when I should be clearly in view, getting close even, but even without deliberately slowing down I do not actually end up excessively close to them).

Edit:
    https://www.autoevolution.com/news/t...nk-147446.html
    Last edited by SportWagon; October 31st, 2022 at 11:55 PM.