Page 606 of 675 FirstFirst ... 106506556596604605606607608616656 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

I like your ideas, but unfortunately hard to get into that sort of stuff without at least a building/construction background.
    And plumbing is tricky in that there are usually lots of rules, some to protect the user, some to protect the system (eg so bad water can't go back up into the system). I think flushing toilets with drinking water is crazy, it should be grey water, maybe a mix of rain water and maybe shower water. Grey water is interesting in that it could make a big difference, but unless its planned for before building its tricky to add later as much of the plumbing is under slabs.

I think it is good to try and lever some of your current experience, that could get you into a new field quickly.
    If you can afford to retrain then go for it.
    But unfortunately money does tend to be a big factor in any of these decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Lori would certainly approve of your possible career change. She might have some thoughts on that. I'll talk to her.
    <3 Thank you!!

DN - I completely agree. Which is why I was thinking about the whole lobbying aspect to update some of the outdated regulations.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    There's webinars and trade talks all over the web. Check out the social media pages of reputable organizations like the World Resources Institute, S&P or even the ANDE Institute.

Sustainability is like a multiverse, but I find the financial universe boring, frankly, so I just phase out when they start talking about that. I've also found that, as with everything, there's a lot of hot air, but the people who know the roots of the business (without the adjective 'sustainable'), are the ones with the most insight.

I'm currently studying urban transport, and I've found that the gals and guys who talk about "user comfort", "operator satisfaction", "route integration" first and avoid the buzzwords are the people who have the biggest practical understanding of the phenomenon. So I guess that while it may feel a bit daunting to make the change, trust all your years of experience, they're invaluable.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; August 10th, 2022 at 05:05 AM.
    acket.

I've got no useful information to add, but here is my moral support: SUPPORT FOR YOUR MORALE!

Also I think you can get remote tankless water heaters that you put near where it's coming out so that it's hot faster.

Keith, that was one of the ideas to make Kid21's Custom HousesTM more sustainable & user-friendly. Instead of running hot water from the garage/basement. I'd install those in every location where hot water would be needed. Then you'd also save 1/2 the cost of the copper(or more likely PEX) piping. Hopefully, that would offset the cost increase a bit. There are quite a few other things too.

Thanks for supporting my morale. LOL

Mario, I'm not sure I want to stay in the financial industry. If there's some way to blend the two though, that might be a possibility. At least my two decades of experience would come in useful at least.

Gee, I’m getting old… just had my 1st colonoscopy and doctor found nothing unusual. So unfortunate for you guys that you’ll have to endure ignoring Billi a few more years…

Congratulations.

That's been on my to-do list for too many years now.

Just get it over with! My next one is scheduled to be 10 years later. Of course if you don’t have any family history, probably not something to worry about too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Gee, I’m getting old… just had my 1st colonoscopy and doctor found nothing unusual. So unfortunate for you guys that you’ll have to endure ignoring Billi a few more years…
    I had my first one five years ago. They found a few polyps, removed them and they were all benign. I'm over due for another one.

Last week I got a flyer in the mail for a company that specializes in metal roofing for mobile homes. I Googled the company and no major red flags. I called them on Monday and they estimator came out yesterday. He took some measurements, wrote an estimate and explained the installation process(the metal roof is laid over the existing roof with compressed Styrofoam insulation under the aluminum). I liked what I heard and signed the paperwork to get it done. I told him that the current rubber roof was installed in Sept. '06 and he told me that I have gotten a really good life out of it, because a rubber roof is usually replaced every 8-10 years. So this should be interesting.

Never realized we have rubber roofing as option! Anyway, metal should be way more durable, should out live you for sure!