Page 495 of 672 FirstFirst ... 395445485493494495496497505545595 ... LastLast
Results 4,941 to 4,950 of 6712

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Relevance? Not sure..., I have observed a loss of diversity perhaps... and looks like we're about to lose another... nice knowing ya!

Anyway, whatever happens to this community, it'll always have a special place in my heart!

IoT - funny you mention toaster. Back in the mid 90s the people behind the QNX operating system saw this IoT coming and thought they were in a great place to capitalise on it. They had an OS that was small enough to fit on a floppy and have an application. Their example was a toaster. It did a graphic of bread turning into toast. Very silly little example, but the idea was that the OS was tiny and that this could fit in a ROM and give you a smart device.
    Unfortunately they were way too far ahead of the curve, things like a raspberry pi didnt happen till many years later.

So yes these guys back in the mid 90s thought you might have a connected smart toaster (running arcnet, token ring is more real-time reliable than ethernet hub, switches were way expensive back then!)
    More than 20 years later and the IoT is still coming

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    It's rare that I see so much insane backlash against an ad...Gillette posts an ad against toxic masculinity which, while being a bit preachy, seems ok to me....but people have gone crazy attacking it (possibly ironically)

I wasn't offended by it, because it wasn't speaking about me, but seemingly lots of men think it's speaking to them.

I will say that people are pretty tired of politics in general and having an ad like this is probably not the best timing when we're inundated with political talk. I keep hearing the term "virtue signaling"....I didn't even know what it was until I looked it up.

So the Gillette video had a ton more dislikes and bad comments, however it was also publicized by people who don't like the message like Ben Shapiro, so....meh. I'm just tired of people piling on and going crazy with things...without taking a more level-headed stance on things...of course, those people wouldn't be commenting as much.

Extreme opinions get lots of attention....mostly because you never hear people yelling I HAVE NO STRONG OPINION ON THE ISSUE!! I CAN SEE BOTH SIDES!! EVERYTHING IN MODERATION DAMMIT!!!!

Saw it - liked it. The downside is its for a product, but I thought it was good. Wasnt blaming anyone, just saying its ok to speak up and let other guys know if they are falling short.

I struggle to see how this could be such an issue. Its an ad by men, for men and seems to be valid and useful.

I thought it was preachy, which I generally find annoying in an advertisement. It didn't make me any more or less likely to buy any Gillette products, but I'm hoping it leads to some good comedy like that Kendall Jenner Pepsi ad.

Gillette.jpg

Looks like that advertising campaign worked better than expected.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBenior View Post
    I generally find [preachy] annoying in an advertisement.
    From what I've read there's been a shift in how consumers value the products they buy and how they go about making their choices. There also seems to be an imperative message parallel to the "Just do it/enjoy Coca-Cola/buy our product" paradigm that we older TV audiences grew used to. With that said, I don't think publicists have it figured it out just yet, but Somesuch -the agency behind the Gillette ad- seem to be doing well with their style of artsy, low-testosterone, big name mini-films.

My opinion is that this was Gillette's "Welcome to Marlboro country" groundbreaker, which places the choice to decide what that country means on each consumer.
    acket.

Gillette sent me a free razor (a Mach 3, IIRC) when I turned 18, I was told at the time that they had a some kind of deal where they got the info from the Selective Service registrations. If it's still that widespread, then they are perhaps welcoming most American men into adulthood. If they only did it for a short period of time, then guys around my age (as mostly featured in the commercial) maybe feel differently about the brand than others.

I'm obviously not offended by the commercial, but I wouldn't be surprised if Trump reacts to it, and that his reaction was part of some internal strategist's goal, after the positive results that Nike saw from supporting Colin Kaepernick.

My guess would be that it’s the feminists found it offensive rather than Trump or white nationalists...

Why should men be better? Are you trying to be better than women? How dare you!!!

Or perhaps white nationalists really do want to teach their sons to bully and sexually assault others because that’s what a superior race/gender should do? I don’t know.

Anyway, identity politics sucks..., no matter how you look at it. Even when you take up the identity of liberal or conservative... you end up prejudging and hating your opposing group after a while.

Personally I think it’s a nice commercial.

I actually just cancelled Dollar Shave Club because they continue to advertise and support Sean Hannity, so I find this Gillette commercial to be refreshing.