Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Language usage doesn't just form in a day, so I think it's kinda pointless to try to correct it over night.

Every word exists for a reason, I'm not sure if we need to selectively choose some words to be shelved and never be used again because they're offensive. Even if a word that doesn't have this original offensive meaning... stupid people can continue to imply such meaning on a word... thus we need to strike out one more word out of our dictionary?

Key is to treat each other with proper respect. A racist can say the most politically correct words and still be vile. Anyway, just give people the benefit of the doubt that they don't mean it as offensively as you think... in the end, if you did find out that the SOB is really vile, then just stay the hell away from that person.

I really think people today are too easily offended or hurt. Everybody hurts. Best coping strategy is probably learn to how to protect yourself rather than expect others to change so that they meet your standard of excellence. Considering how fucked up this world is, such expectation is just unrealistic.

I want people to be able to treat each other nicely, but I really don't want to continue to path of deleting words from the dictionary just because a group of folks felt offended by those words.

We could perhaps nitpick about our speech to be less offensive once we're all done with equal rights, equal pay... living wages, ending police brutality, ending racism, fixed climate, etc...

Point is I don't believe politically correct language will solve racism or any other form of discrimination. That requires a change of heart, not just language. And if even Jesus cannot change everyone's heart just like that, what makes you think you could change the world that way? Best way forward is to demonstrate to others how it should be done with your own life.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; April 6th, 2021 at 09:21 AM.