Page 603 of 675 FirstFirst ... 103503553593601602603604605613653 ... LastLast
Results 6,021 to 6,030 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    That is actually a great point.
    It makes me so happy to hear that, especially considering I somehow said "I figure" twice in one sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    She must have learned to drive in Boston.
    Hey!!

Just have a bigger vehicle than the driver near you... otherwise, yield. Pretty simple.

My experience in ~1998 was very similar to George's. Probably the same film strips. Only difference was if you wanted to take your on-road instruction and test you had to do it during the summer. Otherwise you had to take it at the PennDOT license center. My teacher was cool, we had to do a 'long drive' of about an hour and he spent the time pointing out speed traps.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    She must have learned to drive in Boston.
    I'm thinking South Florida...home of the most aggressive drivers I've ever shared the road with. (Though I've never been to California).

Administrator
    Between Boston and Los Angeles, Boston drivers are massively more aggressive.

Here definitely Quebecers. Not really aggressive, but more twatish in the way they drive. The city I live in (Brampton) is by and far the most aggressive in all of Canada, which is why we pay the highest insurance premiums in the entire country. There's a large Indian/South Asian immigrant population here, and they bring their bad driving habits from India.

There are no rules of the road in India. Trust me, I've been there. It's scary AF as a passenger. Immigrants that come here are automatically granted G2 licenses when they present their Punjab state license, or whatever state they're from. In my opinion it doesn't qualify them to drive on Ontario roads because they skip over the learner's license completely. Just because you know how to physically operate a motor vehicle doesn't necessarily mean you know how to drive. If a white guy said this he'd instantly be called all kinds of racist. But it's absolutely true, and reflected in insurance which is a result of the...results on the road, (a shit-ton of accidents and DUI incidents).

Can you perhaps file your complaint after your son hopefully passes with another examiner? And be sure to have your story correct. How much were you paraphrasing when you used the word "aggressive"? Even if the instructor said that literally, perhaps they'll claim they said "assertive". Etc.

When I got my licen[sc]e in Ontario in the mid 1970's we had no controlled-access-highway part of the test. I really wonder how those highway tests are done. Apart from perhaps vague court precedent, I do not believe Ontario has any formal legal recognition of speed of traffic over-riding posted speed limits. So to avoid breaking the law in Ontario, you'd need to drive just slightly over the posted maximum of 100km/hr (90 on some highways) and stay in the rightmost lane your destination permits. Because otherwise you would need to move into a lane travelling at probably a minimum of 10km/hr over, probably 15, 20 or more. And at that point (or before) you could claim you were driving illegally.

From letters-to-the-editor etc, one definitely gets the impression some drivers believe that posted limits are minimums. (And in practice, in many places, there is some prudence in treating them that way).

Oh. And I am generally surprised that film strips continued to be used through the 80's and 90's; I would have assumed VHS tapes would have supplanted them. Still, perhaps film strips are more durable. (I'm pretty sure we watched VHS (or perhaps Beta) in 1970's Driver's Ed). And by some 20XX I would assume the clips would be on computer.
    Last edited by SportWagon; July 12th, 2022 at 10:46 AM.

That's a good call to file a complaint only after you're completely done with it... Just as I would never complain about a waiter's service in the middle of the meal. Who knows what they'll do to your food?!?!?

Anyway, I lived in an era that did not require me to get on the fwy during my license test as well. In a way I really feel sorry for those folks who have to sit next to a bunch of newbies and merge on a fwy day in and day out with them! I would not want that job.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    There are two pages worth of Paulo Coelho's audiobooks on audiobookbay.

There is not a single torrent for Luis Spota's works.
    acket.

Lori was sewing a bra today. She was playing a YT tutorial about how to make a bra and looking at examples that others made. I walked in to her sewing area to see all this. We made some boob jokes and I left to do an iRace.

After the race, I went to check her progress. She was working on the sewing machine and her computer was asleep. I joked that I was disappointed in the lack of boobs. We talked a bit more about what she was working on, then I left to do something else.

Now, she is getting ads for Hooters in her web browser.