Page 436 of 672 FirstFirst ... 336386426434435436437438446486536 ... LastLast
Results 4,351 to 4,360 of 6712

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Quote Originally Posted by Yw-slayer View Post
    What if you bought the lengths of pipe a little at a time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicknose View Post
    Never gets tired!
    It has been a while though.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Certain parts of grammar mistakes bother the crap out of me.

Apostrophe abuse being one of them. I see CONSTANT situations where people add apostrophes where they don't belong. It's very simple! Apostrophes are only used to imply a contraction.... it's is short for it is, and for showing ownership.....Bob's truck.

However, I'm seeing pretty much anything that has an "S" at the end and if it implies more than one of something, people add apostrophes! like "I have strawberrie's"....WTF??? Strawberries don't own anything.

I used "it's" for it is. ("You know it is really cold...")

I did however, make use of inanimate possession ("car's interior rear-view mirror"), something someone who grew up in Hong Kong once told us was an example of something he had been taught, in his English classes, should not be used, but which he observed English-speakers here made fairly regular use of.

(Ooh! Look what I just did now!).
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 16th, 2018 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SportWagon View Post
    I used "it's" for it is. ("You know it is really cold...")

I did however, make use of inanimate possession ("car's interior rear-view mirror"), something someone who grew up in Hong Kong once told us was an example of something he had been taught, in his English classes, should not be used, but which he observed English-speakers here made fairly regular use of.

(Ooh! Look what I just did now!).
    inanimate object possession is fine from what I was taught...here in Florida, so take that for what it's worth

I think that is fine.

Something I like is that the singular "They" is now an acceptable use for a pronoun of a person when the gender is unknown (ex: "Someone left their lights on"). Always being taught that it could only be used as a plural was annoying, since it fits in normal speech so well, and using "one" or "his or her" is a pain in the ass.

This is going by AP stylebook guidance, which is pretty much all that governs media grammar.

Is this a new thing where you hear people say RIP (Rest in Peace), but instead of saying the letters R.I.P. like normal people, they just say "rip". Sounds weird and I don't know when that started.

People actually say “Arh eye pee”? That’s as many syllables as rest in peace!
    Ok not as bad as “www”, which is more effort than World Wide Web!

In my gaming lately, people say "rip" all the time whenever any negative/bad thing happens. I never hear it used like that for an actual death.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Back in high school or whenever we guys talked/obsessed about cars, nitrous oxide was something we read about in car magazines. I don't think anyone had it, but we called it "nitrous", as in, "Dude, is your Dad going to let you put nitrous in the station wagon?!"

My son pronounces it "nos", to rhyme with boss or sauce. I think he was selecting it for some block-mobile in a Minecraft mod or Roblox or something like that. I had to ask him about three times what he was saying, since "nos" wasn't a word I knew.

See: Fast & Furious