Page 423 of 672 FirstFirst ... 323373413421422423424425433473523 ... LastLast
Results 4,221 to 4,230 of 6712

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

I've realized that what I'm trying to do is create an instagram that has something for everyone but everything for no one. This may be a metaphor for my life, maybe.

Fuck chefs.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Robert Guillaume has passed away.

Among other things, he was on the TV show "Sports Night"...of all shows I wish they would reboot, Sports Night should be one of them. It would be especially relevant right now with all of the various societal things happening related to sports.

The Newsroom is as close as you'll get. I loved Sports Night, still the series on DVD.

Really tired of Indianas dumbass liqour laws.
    I should be able to buy booze 7 days a week 24 hours a day.

They are once again talking about changing it but wont because the liqour groups oppose grocery stores and gas stations selling cold beer and apparently they own enough politicians in the state to keep it that way.

Total bullshit law. They are allowed to sell cold hard cider, which makes no fucking sense. Every convenience store I go into in Michigan sells cold beer. It might have something to do with numbing the pain of living there.

Laws like that are nuts and probably get at least a few people killed. I went to high school in a town where the liquor stores closed at 10 pm by law. A mere 15 minutes away was a small town with a liquor store that was open until 10:30 on fridays and saturdays. This situation led to A LOT of panicked, speeding, (possibly slightly inebriated) drives down twisty roads at 5 after 10.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    this might go more into politics, but I do wonder how many other countries have as much discrepancy as the U.S. when it comes to laws in different territories the way we have state laws. Seems like a lot of them are just not something that should be up to individual states, but that's been the fight since the U.S. began.

Can't buy hard alcohol after 7:00 pm here. Silly.

Quote Originally Posted by MR2 Fan View Post
    this might go more into politics, but I do wonder how many other countries have as much discrepancy as the U.S. when it comes to laws in different territories the way we have state laws. Seems like a lot of them are just not something that should be up to individual states, but that's been the fight since the U.S. began.
    Switzerland had strong states (cantons) and a relatively weak federal government when I lived there. May have changed some in the intervening years.

Example: in 1971 (!) women were given the right to vote in Swiss Federal elections. Not until 1991 (!!!) were they given the right to vote in local elections in one of the cantons.

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The Swiss Federal Constitution declares the cantons to be sovereign to the extent that their sovereignty is not limited by federal law.[10]The cantons also retain all powers and competencies not delegated to the Confederation by the Constitution. Most significantly, the cantons are responsible for healthcare, welfare, law enforcement and public education; they also retain the power of taxation. The cantonal constitutions determine the degree of autonomy accorded to the municipalities, which varies but almost always includes the power to levy taxes and pass municipal laws.
    Whoomah!