Page 605 of 672 FirstFirst ... 105505555595603604605606607615655 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,050 of 6712

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Yeah, the no mention if insurance thing may seem unfair. It is there mostly to keep juries from maxing out insurance payouts when they like both the plaintiff and defendant, easy to punish the insurance company who everyone hates.

Administrator
    I was just on the jury for one of these trials. In our case, it was the same thing - insurance status was not allowed to be mentioned and if it was, to be ignored by the jury. Dodint's probably right in his case, the justification in our case is that the plaintiff should be entitled to whatever compensation they were entitled to, even if the driver at fault was uninsured. Basically, "the defendant's ability to pay should not be a factor in what the plaintiff deserves." In our case as well, the driver had fully admitted fault in a rear-end collision and our job was to come up with what compensation the plaintiff was responsible for. I get the distinct impression that this is a very common situation.

I hope for your sake that your legal counsel is better than our plaintiff's was.

I am not a lawyer, but given that this is about a pending legal dispute, it might not be great to have posted in a public place. I guess there's a certain amount of anonymity we have here, but it's entirely possible that someone could connect who you are to this account.

Oh man, sorry Mo. It was tough reading that. I don't know what to say not having any knowledge in this area, except that I sincerely hope for you to get the best outcome possible.

I thought I went through some tough shit with my DUI a few years ago, and the neverending car problems I'm experiencing this year. Those are small potatoes compared to what you're dealing with. Good luck and stay positive dude!

No he doesn’t need any luck!

Let’s all just wish him mo’ justice and mo’ peace before, during and after the trial!

Dude. That's shitty.

Sorry, Mo. #shitholecountry (Especially TX) That sucks. I wish you the best of luck.

The last few months have been pretty rough on me. I've been unemployed since the end of May. I work in the mortgage industry and there have been massive layoffs from nearly every company. Some lenders have shut their doors for good. I go on LinkedIn and every week there's a new round of layoffs.

2020 & 2021 were record years for most companies. And now no one is hiring, and probably won't be for quite a while. Rates went from historic lows to 20-year highs in a matter of months.

"According to Freddie Mac’s records, the average 30-year rate jumped from 3.76% to 5.81% between March 3 and June 23 — an increase of over 200 basis points (2.00%) in just three months."

Rates have been under 5% since 2009, (usually between 3%-4%) so seeing 6% is a shock to the system. Especially over such a short period. So, the new job prospects are pretty bleak. I've thought about getting out of the mortgage game for a long time. I've stuck it out because I was the sole earner for a long time while my spouse finished school. Now that she's graduated and making enough to support us, now would be a good time to make the switch. I have a general idea of what I want to do. The only problem is that I have no idea where to start. And I don't really want to go back to school. I suck at school and don't think I'd do well.

I want to do something in the sustainability field. I've been interested in building "green" houses for quite a while, like 20 years. But I have no experience. And the area I live in is ridiculously expensive (Orange County, CA). I'd want to start small, build one house, and sell it, to see how it goes. But there are very few vacant lots available. There are larger lots of 2+ acres that could be divided into like 8 homes. But, it's almost $2mil just for the land.

We're doing pretty well in regards to energy creation, we just need to make the move away from fossil fuels. I think that will sort itself out soon with how solar and wind prices keep coming down.

There are other things that I've thought about pursuing. Like water. Has anyone seen the drought and water shortage issues in the Southwest USA? It baffles me every time I take a shower that we still use two handles to figure out hot/cold/warm water. And we have to let the water go down the drain until it gets comfortable. We have smart light switches and even the doorbell at my house will send a picture to my phone of who is there. But, we can't figure out water temperature before it goes down the drain? Ugh. /end rant.
    I have a few ideas, but I'm not an engineer. And I don't see any politicians addressing this dire water shortage outside of "use less water". I'm definitely not a politician. But I have thought about lobbying on behalf of environmental organizations. I'm pretty far away from DC though, and it seems that California is pretty far ahead of the rest of the country.

Sorry for just letting my brain run wild there... that's kind of what I've been doing the last few months while being unemployed. I feel like I'm stuck in this repeating pattern of wanting to do something, but not knowing how or where to start. I'm hopefully meeting with an acquaintance who works in sustainability this upcoming weekend. Hopefully, he can give me some pointers.

What is a green house? I'm assuming it's not the kind you grow plants inside? Just green as in environmentally friendly? Do you really have to build it from scratch? To really start small, maybe you can just modify your existing home to make it greener and see if you can sell these modifications to existing homeowners? If this business snowballs..., then eventually you can probably design a green house from ground up and then eventually replace older houses altogether. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Yeah, the way I see it, CA has fire problem, water problem, energy problem, homeless problem, it'd be awesome if we can solve these problems eventually. Another idea is to possibly sell your tiny green energy efficient houses to the government for the homeless? But of course, where will the government find the land? Anyway, you have time on your hands, figure out and solve these problems please!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I want to do something in the sustainability field. I've been interested in building "green" houses for quite a while, like 20 years. But I have no experience. And the area I live in is ridiculously expensive (Orange County, CA). I'd want to start small, build one house, and sell it, to see how it goes. But there are very few vacant lots available. There are larger lots of 2+ acres that could be divided into like 8 homes. But, it's almost $2mil just for the land.
    Dude, you're good with finances, right? Have you heard of sustainability-linked bonds? I think that might be an avenue worth checking out, FWIU some state and local governments want to do urban and housing renewal and adaptation, and these funds from banks and from investment funds could be an option.
    acket.

Thanks Mario. I'll check that out.

Lori would certainly approve of your possible career change. She might have some thoughts on that. I'll talk to her.