Page 400 of 400 FirstFirst ... 300350390398399400
Results 3,991 to 3,998 of 3998

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

One of my friends only posts about how much she loves her boyfriend and how great they are together, and tags him in every one of them.

Any time I see her in person, she complains about him.

There are multiple potential reasons for these conflicting actions, but we're not good enough friends for me to really care, I just don't trust anything she says.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Recreational Gynecologist MR2 Fan's Avatar
    since the concert bombing yesterday, a lot of people on social media, rightfully so, are talking about "pure evil".

That leads me to something I've been thinking about lately.....the definition of Evil.

To me, it seems that evil can only be summed up as an emotion. I've said on other platforms that calling the act "pure evil" doesn't really push the conversation forward on how to stop it. In a way, it is a bit of a cop-out to me, but I realize that is a harsh perspective.

I tend to lean toward science when it comes to how I feel about things, and evil isn't really a scientific construct, or even a psychological one. It may be a more archaic view of things that we continue to use for various reasons.

The reaction to such a violent attack like happened last night is often for people to say "bomb them all" meaning, I suppose, people in the middle east? That reaction is basically the same "evil" they're rallying against, even if they aren't doing the bombing themselves. Is it far different?
    ║]=(86)=[║

Evil is willfully doing something that harms others purely for your own benefit, not to defend/protect yourself from similar or greater harm. The more you harm them, with the less threat of harm to yourself, the more evil you are.

So killing a bunch of people that made no direct threat to you, your loved ones or your society in any way? Pure evil.

Retaliating by killing the innocent loved ones and society of your attackers? Also evil.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br
    "Hence the problem was how to overcome not so much their conscience as the animal pity by which all normal men are affected in the presence of physical suffering. The trick was very simple and probably very effective; it consisted in turning these instincts around, as it were, in directing them toward the self. So that instead of saying: What horrible things I did to people!, the murderers would be able to say: What horrible things I had to watch in the pursuance of my duties, how heavily the task weighed upon my shoulders!"
    acket.

So someone posted to my FB wall a vloggers response to the Manchester bombing and the real dregs of society came out in their droves. They were advocating everyone that's under suspicion or on a watch list be rounded up and imprisoned. I helpfully chimed in that you can't lock people up on the suspicion they might do something and they're innocent until proven guilty. This did NOT go down well. Sigh.

I'm pretty puzzled by some reports I've been seeing about the concert bombing. Some are saying that people from the same mosque as the guy they arrested and even his own family had reported him to the police and British Government as dangerous and a possible threat.

If that's true.. how'd they fuck up and fail to stop him?

Also I am really tired of the 24 hour news networks. All of them.

Unless you have proof an attack is imminent, there's no way you can arrest someone because they might be a future threat. That's a really slippery slope. In all likelihood he was on their watch list, but wasn't seen as a threat to the UK. This happens quite often, actually... people who are 'threats' in theory, but intelligence agencies don't believe they have the capability of acquiring the resources, and/or having the knowledge of building a working bomb.

Glad I was able to find a car today. 2002 VW Passat Wagon. Oddly, with a 5 speed. Figured all these came with autos by now...