Page 386 of 675 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    "BMI is bullshit, just ignore it"... But then wtf do we have it for?
    Because it's easy to measure and because skinny (low fat AND low muscle) people live typically longest.
    Considering how general it is it ain't that bad. If you're athletic you probably already know better than to rely on an overly simplified measure like that (a 3% body fat bodybuilder can be considered extremely obese on the BMI index)
    So yeah, it's bullshit, but for the mindless masses it has some use (waist-to-height ratio may be a slightly better general measurement)

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    Because it's easy to measure and because skinny (low fat AND low muscle) people live typically longest.
    Considering how general it is it ain't that bad. If you're athletic you probably already know better than to rely on an overly simplified measure like that (a 3% body fat bodybuilder can be considered extremely obese on the BMI index)
    So yeah, it's bullshit, but for the mindless masses it has some use (waist-to-height ratio may be a slightly better general measurement)
    Do like the Marines. Measure your height, measure your waist, measure your neck. Subtract the neck from the waist. Compare to an arbitrary(?) number on a chart that matches your height.

It's scientific because it has numbers. It's not silly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    Went back to the doctor on Tues, I weighed in at 222.2 lbs. BP was 118/76. I've came up with three weight goals. The first(getting down to 200 lbs) is very attainable. The second(182 lbs, half my starting body weight lost) and third(164 lbs, 200 lbs lost) are more for some sort of weird ego fulfillment.
    Why 164lbs? Is it just to hit the magical 200 lost number, or has that been determined as your healthy weight?

Certainly better, but thats even more measurements than waist-to-height ratio which itself requires more work than the BMI (you know how lazy people are).
    (Because of BMI even the Marines think 140lb for a 6'0" guy is okay, jeez that's a lean Marine)

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Do like the Marines. Measure your height, measure your waist, measure your neck. Subtract the neck from the waist. Compare to an arbitrary(?) number on a chart that matches your height.

It's scientific because it has numbers. It's not silly at all.
    That's what got my cousin into the Coast Guard without losing weight first. He was definitely packing more around the waist then he should've, but he's always had an enormous neck which balanced out that measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    (Because of BMI even the Marines think 140lb for a 6'0" guy is okay, jeez that's a lean Marine)
    I went to the academy with a Marine who had those measurements

Something I can't quite get: a size 40 suit comes with 34" waist pants (33" or even 32" for the slim fit ones), yet dress shirts' measurements around the waist are typically 40-44"
    I understand you need some slack for bending+twisting, but even slim, very slim, ultra slim, .... American shirts get nowhere close to the waist of the pants
    Is it similar in Europe and Asia?

You can purchase slim or athletic cut shirts if you look hard enough.

I bought my first-ever "slim fit" shirt over the winter. Feels reel gud.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    You can purchase slim or athletic cut shirts if you look hard enough.
    I have various variations of "slim, very slim, ultra slim" (and modern fit) shirts, most of them are noticeably bigger around the waist compared to a suit jacket. Only ones that are close are two sizes too small. I know the fancy European brands have a much narrower cut, but I ain't paying $35-85/shirt during a clearance sale.
    The regular fit ones are like flying squirrel suits (seems like the baggy size of the 90's never left the budget dress shirt's cut)

Why must she blow so hot and cold!?

She talks about not getting to see Lego Batman at the cinema, so suggest if she wants to go I'll go with her and she thanks me. Then goes to see it by herself. Then I get a kiss on the cheek for simply giving her some candy. Then it's a hug at the supermarket when I see her and she asks what I'm doing this weekend. She goes away for the same weekend (and doesn't mention it to me) with some of her friends and when I ask her if she enjoyed it she says that it would have been more enjoyable with better company. So we chat over email about the cinema and what films are coming out she wants to see and then she goes cold on me and stops responding. WOMEN!