Page 450 of 675 FirstFirst ... 350400440448449450451452460500550 ... LastLast
Results 4,491 to 4,500 of 6747

Thread: This is the thread where I say things and maybe other people say things too

Ain't nobody got time for that!

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    ... about 300 calories. That's 25 minutes of running at 5mph, or a 1 hour brisk walk. Or, if you prefer a typical weight lifting session, about two hours...
    is it me or does weight lifting end up being the best calorie-burner over time? I mean soon after you run or walk most of the accelerated calorie-burning stops while your body spends a lot of energy the next few days after a lifting session

Lots of kids getting in trouble and arrested for threats being made at school lately. There have been threats or rumors of threats at least 4 or 5 schools in the area in the last couple of weeks. I don't remember it happening back after Columbine when I was in school.

Are kids today that stupid or are the schools just super panicky about the possibility of it happening?

They definitely take it more seriously now.
    Like the cops will put a kid in handcuffs and take him in for questioning, (getting scolded by the principle back in the day didn't make the news).

They're talking felony charges for the people that have done it around here. I'm sure the fact that the Florida shooting looked like something law enforcement should have caught given the signs they were literally handed is a big part as well.

Wonder how many of these kids are just thinking its some sort of funny joke to make threats against their schools. I mean its just a prank bro.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    is it me or does weight lifting end up being the best calorie-burner over time? I mean soon after you run or walk most of the accelerated calorie-burning stops while your body spends a lot of energy the next few days after a lifting session
    That's definitely one school of thought--that extended periods of rest/lifting/rest/lifting kinda keeps your body in a muscle-building mode, and it tends to feed muscle growth. That doesn't necessarily mean it will accelerate WEIGHT LOSS, though. So if you're doing the "lose a little weight over time and get fit" method, rather than "lose lots of weight" method, yeah, it does the trick better.

Yeah, the weight loss from lifting argument is really interesting to read about. Generally I do separate lifting and cardio programs simultaneously; meaning I don't rely on one to contribute to the other. But, when things get busy, the lifting program generally goes away first. As such, I haven't lifted in six months but can still run three miles in under 30 minutes.

The thought process is that significant cardio workouts (long runs, tons of swimming, etc) will hurt weight training simply by wearing out your body too damn much. What was recommended to me by a trainer was, during the weight training period, to either only do relaxed cardio (walking), or to do High Intensity Intervals, like 15 minutes of sprinting/cool-down cycles, so you burn the calories and also promote muscle growth without ruining your joints.

(I do really like running though, so I'd probably end up going back to it anyway.)

Weight loss is going to be (plucks numbers out of the air) 80% diet, 20% exercise.

Or at least, that's the case for me, and the people I know. The only time I've lost any meaningful amount of weight was when I cut my calorie intake a lot.

The rest of the time, my exercise both weights and cardio is really full on, and while I get more or less fit, my weight stays extremely static.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachen596 View Post
    Thank goodness there are no actual important things these idiots in Indy could be working on instead... All this crying over time zones. Its not like all the counties will change to Central anyways, ones with Ohio or Michigan are going ot want to stay Eastern.
    No, St. Joseph wants to be on Central because "they feel a tie to Chicago". For some damn reason this whole state is obsessed with time zones. For years they couldn't make up their mind until 2006 on whether or not to observe Daylight Savings and now they want to fuck shit up again.